Update date

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by rhardin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. rhardin

rhardin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    So I'm on a iPad four wifi 16... I see there is a new iOS update, how do I update, do I have to rejailbreak and start over, do I not update, is it a pain to do... Please help....
  2. SikYou

SikYou iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I don't think that we have confirmation that the jailbreak works with the update. I would wait unit an official announcement is made.
  3. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252 / 0
    Confirmed that it's working. Tweeted on Planetbeing's Twitter, tested on my own iPad 2 and iPad 3. Evasi0n 1.4 is up on the site already.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,959 / 0
    Only you can decide whether you want to update to iOS 6.1.2. Yes, it's a minor update - but it'll guarantee that you are on the most current iOS (plus, it IS jail breakable!).

If you decide to update, take a look at this thread where have offered suggestions on the best way to do it: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=103822

Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn
  5. rhardin

rhardin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Is it best to update from my computer or can I just update from my ipad over wifi?
  6. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    You can NEVER update a jailbroken device, either using iTunes or Wifi.

You must use the "restore" feature of iTunes if you want to update the version of IOS on your device.

Before you do that, you should take a full backup of the device (iTunes or iCloud), and ALSO make a decision about what jailbreak apps / tweaks you may want to backup and restore. To backup JB tweaks etc. you can use an app from Cydia such as PkgBackup or xBackup. Or you could simply write them down and reinstall them again. The best approach will depend on the complexity of your jailbreak.

Once you have used iTunes to restore the device to 6.1.2, then you restore your iPad backup, re-jailbreak, and then (optionally) restore any tweaks which you backed up separately.

If I get some spare time tonight I'll update our old tutorial on upgrading a JB device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...des/26399-how-upgrade-your-ios-jailbreak.html, however the principles are exactly the same. You can simply ignore all stuff about sn0wbreeze as it would now be an evasi0n jailbreak (that's the piece I'll update later).
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. rhardin

rhardin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Oh thank you for that info.... I'm new at this :). Can I restore from my ipad or does that have to be done on the computer too....
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013