What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

update a jailbroken ipad2

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i already have a jb ipad2 on 7.x. i want to update it to 9.3.5. . How do i go about updating to the 9.3.5 jailbreak. i can tell you i tried to update to 9.3.5 since itunes told me that was the update but my ipad is on "checking for updates" forever

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i already have a jb ipad2 on 7.x. i want to update it to 9.3.5. . How do i go about updating to the 9.3.5 jailbreak. i can tell you i tried to update to 9.3.5 since itunes told me that was the update but my ipad is on "checking for updates" forever
There is currently no jailbreak for iOS 9.3.5. When updating a jailbroken iPad, you have to restore the iPad through iTunes on your computer. Later jailbreaks blocked the OTA update feature as this would ruin the jailbreak, requiring the iTunes update.

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is currently no jailbreak for iOS 9.3.5. When updating a jailbroken iPad, you have to restore the iPad through iTunes on your computer. Later jailbreaks blocked the OTA update feature as this would ruin the jailbreak, requiring the iTunes update.
thanks so much for your quick reply but i had thought there was a jb for 9.3.5 from Pangu. am i incorrect here?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no jailbreak for 9.3.5. The latest jailbreak was for 9.3.3, which isn't signed by Apple, so you can't go to that software version.

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok. what would be my alternatives? Wait for ios 10? also what would be the reason why it didnt update my ipad2 anyway to 9.3.5 via Itunes? stuck on "checking for updates". is it because of the current jailbreak on there? thanks again

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok. what would be my alternatives? Wait for ios 10? also what would be the reason why it didnt update my ipad2 anyway to 9.3.5 via Itunes? stuck on "checking for updates". is it because of the current jailbreak on there? thanks again
You'd have to remove the jailbreak by restoring your iPad through iTunes on your computer which will update your iPad to iOS 9.3.5. Make sure you backup the iPad first. You can then set up the iPad from your backup after restoring it.

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'd have to remove the jailbreak by restoring your iPad through iTunes on your computer which will update your iPad to iOS 9.3.5. Make sure you backup the iPad first. You can then set up the iPad from your backup after restoring it.
but isnt that what i tried to do and i get stuck at the "checking for updates" and it doesnt update. when i connect my ipad to computer/itunes, it tells me 9.3.5 for the download/update and then gets stuck at "checking for updates"

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
but isnt that what i tried to do and i get stuck at the "checking for updates" and it doesnt update. when i connect my ipad to computer/itunes, it tells me 9.3.5 for the download/update and then gets stuck at "checking for updates"
Are you checking for updates on your computer or on the iPad while connected to iTunes?

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you checking for updates on your computer or on the iPad while connected to iTunes?
while connected to my computer and on itunes, after clicking ok to download and update, the ipad is stuck on "checking for updates"

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try using iTunes for updating the software on your iPad? That means: you don't go to Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad, but let iTunes download and install the software.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
while connected to my computer and on itunes, after clicking ok to download and update, the ipad is stuck on "checking for updates"
Are you seeing this message on your computer screen when your iPad is connected to iTunes?

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the ipad connected to the computer and i am in itunes with the itunes message about updating to 9.3.5. The ipad is stuck at "checking for updates". my itunes is updated to version 12.x.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Select the message in iTunes about updating to 9.3.5, let iTunes download the software, and install it on the iPad. Keep your device connected to iTunes, don't unplug it.

New software can be installed either over the air (on your iPad, in Settings - General - Software Update), or via iTunes. If over the air doesn't work, use iTunes to update the software on your iPad.

OP
B

bruteforce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try using iTunes for updating the software on your iPad? That means: you don't go to Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad, but let iTunes download and install the software.
no i havent. how do you do that? i have been using Settings - General - Software Update on iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts