What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unwanted music on the iPad

jrmcafee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using my iPad for 3 years without problems. Today I decided to use some headphones. They work fine, except every 4-5 minutes the sound switches to some music that I have no idea where it is from. If I restart the App I am using all is well for another 4-5 minutes. Then more music. Any ideas?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been using my iPad for 3 years without problems. Today I decided to use some headphones. They work fine, except every 4-5 minutes the sound switches to some music that I have no idea where it is from. If I restart the App I am using all is well for another 4-5 minutes. Then more music. Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Just a few 'starter' questions: 1) Is the 'unwanted' music heard stored on your iPad; 2) How are the headphones connected to your iPad, i.e. cabled into the mini-stereo port or via Bluetooth (BT); and 3) Are there other BT devices around playing music if you indeed are using wireless headphones? Also, please provide the model of your iPad and the iOS installed. Dave

OP
J

jrmcafee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I have no idea where the music is coming from. To my knowledge I have no music stored on the iPad. Headphones connected by mini-stereo port. No other BT devices.

Model is 4th Gen Retina Display (MD510 LL/A)
IOS 8.4

OP
J

jrmcafee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I have no idea where the music is coming from. To my knowledge I have no music stored on the iPad. Headphones connected by mini-stereo port. No other BT devices.

Model is 4th Gen Retina Display (MD510 LL/A)
IOS 8.4

OK. Just discovered that the Music is coming from the MUSIC APP. I didn't even know I had this App and don't remember ever using it. Now I just need to find out how to stop it playing and/or deleting it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK. Just discovered that the Music is coming from the MUSIC APP. I didn't even know I had this App and don't remember ever using it. Now I just need to find out how to stop it playing and/or deleting it.

Hi again - thanks for answering my questions and in giving us your iPad specs - helps!

So, BT is not an issue - I'm assuming that you have Wi-Fi activated and that 'streaming' may be occurring through the 'Music App' - see the attached photos from my iPad (iOS 8.4.1) - the first image shows a folder where I've put the icon which is a native app, i.e. cannot be deleted - that is 'where' your music is stored (see the 2nd image and the bottom menu choices) - check in those menu items to the right of 'Playlists' to see if there is any setting that is allowing iTunes to stream music to you? Also, look in Settings under the iTunes & Music icons to see if there are any selections activated that might be causing this issue - I'm just not sure (i.e. does not happen to me) - hopefully, other members will respond w/ helpful comments. Dave :)

IMG_3905.PNG
IMG_3904.PNG

OP
J

jrmcafee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again - thanks for answering my questions and in giving us your iPad specs - helps!

So, BT is not an issue - I'm assuming that you have Wi-Fi activated and that 'streaming' may be occurring through the 'Music App' - see the attached photos from my iPad (iOS 8.4.1) - the first image shows a folder where I've put the icon which is a native app, i.e. cannot be deleted - that is 'where' your music is stored (see the 2nd image and the bottom menu choices) - check in those menu items to the right of 'Playlists' to see if there is any setting that is allowing iTunes to stream music to you? Also, look in Settings under the iTunes & Music icons to see if there are any selections activated that might be causing this issue - I'm just not sure (i.e. does not happen to me) - hopefully, other members will respond w/ helpful comments. Dave :)

View attachment 67491 View attachment 67492
I don't use iTunes and no safari apps were playing music. I opened the Music App and found a few playlists, not sure where they came from. I deleted some of them, others I couldn't. There was one song that I had purchased. Don't remember, but maybe when I got this I experimented a little. I deleted it also. Seems to have solved the problem. We'll see. Just strange to me that it only happens when I use the head phones.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use iTunes and no safari apps were playing music. I opened the Music App and found a few playlists, not sure where they came from. I deleted some of them, others I couldn't. There was one song that I had purchased. Don't remember, but maybe when I got this I experimented a little. I deleted it also. Seems to have solved the problem. We'll see. Just strange to me that it only happens when I use the head phones.

Rather bizarre, so agree about the phones relationship (so I'm assuming this is not occurring w/ the device's speakers?) - you might want to do a 'Reset' (directions below if not familiar w/ the procedure) - won't hurt but may not help - a recommendation that I often make when the iPad's behavior seems a little weird? Good luck & let us know - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts