What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untethered 4.3.1 JB redsnow problems

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a nightmare updating the firmware! if anyone gets an error 1013 it means that the update can't be verified by the iTunes server, probably as it's been blocked by the windows host file, this is normally done by tiny umbrella or if you wanted to downgrade.

I spent about 3 hours updating my iPhone, then the jb took 20 mins (after I put it into xp compatibility mode and run as administrator.)

iPad didn't take as long, (as I learnt from my mistakes) but I did notice a few weird things.

1. My iPhone showed my apps, then after a reboot it didn't. The after a respring they appeared again. Phone was very slow at first now its fine, overall happy so far.

2. after jail breaking the iPad, cydia was updating then it started flashing! Then the loading of the firmware screen appeared and started loading, then it stopped and stayed there. So I restarted and now it's fine. Weird huh

Overall it looks like both went ok.

CraigPollard85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had exactly the same "redsn0w has encountered a problem...." error and regardless of what i done i couldnt get passed the RamDisk part of the install.

I ended up switching the compatability selection in redsn0w to run in Windows 95 mode (instead of WinXP Service Pack 2/3)and it worked a treat.

I know the "Run in WinXP" message is being reiterated on here, but can anyone provide details as to why this selection is required? If it helps, i am running Vista.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same "redsn0w has encountered a problem...." error and regardless of what i done i couldnt get passed the RamDisk part of the install.

I ended up switching the compatability selection in redsn0w to run in Windows 95 mode (instead of WinXP Service Pack 2/3)and it worked a treat.

I know the "Run in WinXP" message is being reiterated on here, but can anyone provide details as to why this selection is required? If it helps, i am running Vista.

It's to do with the tools they are using to compile redsn0w for a Windows platform.

Now that we have our own sticky redsn0w tutorial in this section the instructions should be front and centre for everyone to see!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was crashing in the same spot, I did not run it with xp settings, just held the home button for a few seconds longer (guessing I was letting go too soon) after that, worked like a charm.

Meaning, when the screen comes up to tell you to press power, then power and home, then just home, if you let go of the home button when the screen changes, you will get the error message, I kept holding it till I was done counting down, and it worked.

Last edited:

Mjmoore17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79 said:
Mine was crashing in the same spot, I did not run it with xp settings, just held the home button for a few seconds longer (guessing I was letting go too soon) after that, worked like a charm.

Meaning, when the screen comes up to tell you to press power, then power and home, then just home, if you let go of the home button when the screen changes, you will get the error message, I kept holding it till I was done counting down, and it worked.

I had the same problem. The fix was identical. Just count manually instead of using the screen. works great now.

Most reactions