What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untethered 4.3.1 JB redsnow problems

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISPW File Problems

I posted this on another post but no action. So maybe better luck here.

I have an ipad 1 already upgraded to 4.3.1. Want to jailbreak (I have not done it b4). Everything I read says to download the firmware ipsw onto my desktop. Every location I go to it down loads a zip file and when I extract it here is no ipsw file. So here are my questions

- various tutorials say to hit the shift key and the restore button in itunes and then selection the ipsw file I downloaded - I can find that from my original install of 4.3.1 but it is NOT in the downloaded file I mention above - so can I point to the actual file buried down in some subfolders?
- do I even need to do this if I have already installed 4.3.1?
- If I just run redsn0w it also wants me to find the 4.3.1 ispw file - again same questions as above? ie can I refer to the actual file from when I upgraded to 4.3.1

basically I can't seem to even get started as I don't know if it is safe to link to the actual ipsw file and secondly why when I am down loading from the links for the ipsw file am I getting the zip file and no ipsw file?

OP
Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
try the redsnow.i was confused as well.

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
???

sorry not sure what you are trying to tell me - I am using Redsnow The issue is can if link to the ispw file that is already on my computer from when I upgraded to 4.3.1 vs the one I am supposed to down load but for whatever reason I cannot. I don't care which one i use if someone can tell me how to download the ispw file - as I have said when I down load it is always a zip file and when I unzip it there is no ispw file to refer to either when I do the "restore" or if redsnow looks for it.

I must not be clear in what I am trying to say.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry not sure what you are trying to tell me - I am using Redsnow The issue is can if link to the ispw file that is already on my computer from when I upgraded to 4.3.1 vs the one I am supposed to down load but for whatever reason I cannot. I don't care which one i use if someone can tell me how to download the ispw file - as I have said when I down load it is always a zip file and when I unzip it there is no ispw file to refer to either when I do the "restore" or if redsnow looks for it.

I must not be clear in what I am trying to say.

During my research, I found various people saying that some Windows PCs download the ipsw files as zip files. "They" said to just change the .zip to .ipsw and that's it. You don't unzip it - just change the file extention.

Then, when you run the jailbreak, you just point/link to that file you just re-named.

Think it's worth a shot...

Marilyn

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drag to redsnow

Thanks but what exactly are you suggesting I drag? The entire folder created when I unzipped?

Sorry re read and see I am to drag entire unzipped file. I changed the name and did the drag onto of the redsnow exec file - just get an error message

Last edited:
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
Thanks but what exactly are you suggesting I drag? The entire folder created when I unzipped?

Try downloading the firmware with internet explorer, without any download helper, you should get an .ipsw file.

Then once downloaded, leave the file alone, don't unzip it. Just open redsn0w and drag the file you downloaded into redsn0w.

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried To

download the ipsw file on my other computer - windows vista - doing exactly the same thing - downloading as a zip file

please someone tell me if I can find the ipsw file from when I upgraded to 4.3.1 can i just link to that when i do the restore and the redsnow?

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
download the ipsw file on my other computer - windows vista - doing exactly the same thing - downloading as a zip file

please someone tell me if I can find the ipsw file from when I upgraded to 4.3.1 can i just link to that when i do the restore and the redsnow?

In the news section, the guide has a link. http://tinyurl.com/3bc2u7y

TheEray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen orientation lock now mutes sound after Redsn0w jailbreak

I jailbroke my iPad 1 with Redsn0w and the screen orientation lock switch now does not work, it now turns off the sound!

Is there a fix for this?? :confused:

Most reactions