What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unread Mail messages are ghosts

MikiSunshine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using an iPad Air 2 with the latest iOS 10.3.3.

Mail says I have 3,684 unread messages in one of my pop accounts but when I go to the account or to unread messages, they're not there. I heard they're called ghosts. Which seems appropriate.

I read the instructions for getting rid of them on appletoolbox but no joy. I tried everything.

I checked online to make sure there were no unread messages, though the issue isn't with Gmail which is the only mail with a constant connect.

I tried following the instructions 6 times rebooting after each step. Every time...

1. turn the account off, 0 unread messages (of course),
2. reboot,
3. turn it back on... still 3,864 unread messages,
4. Rinse and repeat 5x more.

I even tried turning off SSL as one reader suggested. Did that a few times too. Nada. Messages still not there but Mail says they are.

I even tried deleting the account altogether, then re-adding it. Nope. Stil those darn unseeable unread messages.

I am at a complete loss of what to do now. Can someone help?

OP
MikiSunshine

MikiSunshine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found an easy solution...

1. Make sure all your messages are read.
2. Go into the mail messages, edit and mark all as unread.
3. Edit and mark all as read and voila! There're gone!

Most reactions