What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unprovoked battery drain

richardstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 Retina with the newest iOS 7.
Sometimes, not always, with all apps closed and the iPad turned off something is completely draining my battery. Is there any way to see what is causing this?
It is especially annoying when I have shut it down with, say, 80% battery left and when I need to check something I turn it on only to discover that I have to do a whole new recharge.

Thanks for any help on this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the iPad get warm while turned off and the battery draining? If so, it's possible that there may be a short circuit causing the battery to drain when the iPad is turned off.

OP
R

richardstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPad get warm while turned off and the battery draining? If so, it's possible that there may be a short circuit causing the battery to drain when the iPad is turned off.

Thanks for the reply.
Nope. Just out of battery when I turn it back on.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There could be a number of reasons why your battery is doing that. Maybe games running in the background or maybe you haven't turned off blue tooth which comes on automatically after a system update, that kind of thing... but it doesn't have to be some physical problem with your iPad.
Here's an informative thread put up by our member ardchoille that gives more food for thought:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-battery-drain.120592/
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk Pro

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 Retina with the newest iOS 7.
Sometimes, not always, with all apps closed and the iPad turned off something is completely draining my battery. Is there any way to see what is causing this?
It is especially annoying when I have shut it down with, say, 80% battery left and when I need to check something I turn it on only to discover that I have to do a whole new recharge.

Thanks for any help on this.
This may not be of much help, more like reassurance. This very issue has happened to me in the past. It did not happen too often, but as you say, is irritating when you come to use your iPad. It has not happened for a good few months now and also I have an app CoreMonitor HD, available from App Store. It shows what apps are doing what and how much space is left on the HD.
By the way, this does not just happen to Apple products. Only the other day I went out with 75% full charge on my Blackberry Z10 only to find, a couple of hours later that it had completely drained :(

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This may not be of much help, more like reassurance. This very issue has happened to me in the past. It did not happen too often, but as you say, is irritating when you come to use your iPad. It has not happened for a good few months now and also I have an app CoreMonitor HD, available from App Store. It shows what apps are doing what and how much space is left on the HD.
By the way, this does not just happen to Apple products. Only the other day I went out with 75% full charge on my Blackberry Z10 only to find, a couple of hours later that it had completely drained :(

Can't see coremonitor on UK app store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Today I have used iPad for 4 hours since full chsrge, and have left 55% batery, used to get 5 hours with 55% left. Similar sort of usage, reading, viewing web pages, searching app store etc. have done absolutely everything in all the tips I have read both here and on other forums. Tearing my hair out - and I haven't got much to lose - ha, ha, ha.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Today I have used iPad for 4 hours since full chsrge, and have left 55% batery, used to get 5 hours with 55% left. Similar sort of usage, reading, viewing web pages, searching app store etc. have done absolutely everything in all the tips I have read both here and on other forums. Tearing my hair out - and I haven't got much to lose - ha, ha, ha.

Batteries do degrade. How long have you had this iPad? With normal usage you should expect about an 80% loss of capacity in about two years. (that's figuring about one full recharge a day). That's an average sort of thing, some batteries will last a bit longer, others not so much.

So if you used to get 9 hours a year ago you can probably expect about 8.1 hours now.

If you have not done so recently, you should try running the iPad completely down and recharging to 100% (uninterrupted), to make sure the battery percentage indicator is calibrated.

Most reactions