What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlocked iPad - What's The Point?

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If ATT is the only choice for wireless and Apple will not allow a tethering application on the App Store, what's the point of an unlocked iPad? Can someone please explain to me what Apple's thinking here is??

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean exactly by unlock? Do you mean jailbreak?

Jailbreaking (on the iphone and ipod touch) allows the installation of apps that are not approved by Apple (as usually, apps need to be approved to make their way in the app store). In this way, apps on jailbroken iphones can make use of functionnality normally not allowed for approved apps.

Jailbreaking could also allow to tether your iPad to a jailbroken iPhone for accessing internet, and using a different carrier.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G iPads won't be locked to any network anyway

Mmh the deals are only offered through AT&T...are you 100% sure they're not locked?

They aren't technically locked.....but they are using a special sim that only ATT carries, so practically speaking they are locked...only thru hardware, not firmware.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I actually read that you can just cut a standard sim to make it a micro sim. Do you think doing that to use any other carrier will work?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will probably be able to use it with T-Mobile as well but won't get 3G, will probably downgrade to Edge. The opposite of a Nexus One phone, which is set up for T-Mobile and will only do Edge on AT&T, not 3G.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple may soon be free...

The 3G iPads won't be locked to any network anyway

Mmh the deals are only offered through AT&T...are you 100% sure they're not locked?

They aren't technically locked.....but they are using a special sim that only ATT carries, so practically speaking they are locked...only thru hardware, not firmware.

I heard that Apple's exclusive contract with AT&T will expire this summer. You may see other carriers jumping on the iPhone/iPad band wagon... I think that's why they are pushing the 'unlocked' feature and tossing out only the 'pay-go' option for the iPad...

Just something I heard...

;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
they aren't firmware locked, but ATT is the only company offering the service and the sim....so yeah it's locked to ATT

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts