What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Unjailbreaking" before ISO 5

Carnage334

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before ISO 5 comes out im going unjailbreak my ipad 2. As of right now I downloaded a few apps from the app store / cydia that I want to keep my progess in(havent synched since being jailbroken). I should be able to just plug my ipad into my computer and it will synch only my app store apps right? It will not synch my jail broken apps right? I just want to make sure when I unjailbreak and synch with my computer again that it will pull back in any jail broken items. That my ipad will be locked up behind apple bars again haha.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before ISO 5 comes out im going unjailbreak my ipad 2. As of right now I downloaded a few apps from the app store / cydia that I want to keep my progess in(havent synched since being jailbroken). I should be able to just plug my ipad into my computer and it will synch only my app store apps right? It will not synch my jail broken apps right? I just want to make sure when I unjailbreak and synch with my computer again that it will [not?] pull back in any jail broken items. That my ipad will be locked up behind apple bars again haha.

I'm a little confused on this sentence [that I've bolded]. As in, are you missing the word "not" in there? Because, if/when you UNjailbreak an iPad, you will no longer have access to Cydia or any of its jail break tweaks. You'll unjailbreak by "restoring" the iPad, which puts a new version of the firmware on the iPad, just as if it came fresh out of the box.

Also, when/if you upgrade to iOS 5, it will also install as new software, which will wipe out any remnants of jail breaking you may have left on the iPad that was running iOS 4.3.x.

The only way to Cydia is via jail breaking and for iOS 5, we'll all have to wait until it gets jail broken (for either iPad version). When/if iOS 5 gets jailbroke, and you decide to re-jailbreak, then you can access Cydia again. Of course, we'll have to wait for the developers to update the Cydia tweaks to iOS 5.

But - that doesn't mean you can't sync your iPad to iTunes now, to save your App Store apps and data. As long as you don't accept the option to update to a new iOS, you can transfer purchases and do backups as if you are on a stock iPad. I'd highly recommend doing this anyway, as a backup is never a bad thing...

Marilyn

OP
C

Carnage334

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey you answered my question. I wanted to be sure when i synch with itunes it doesnt synch jailbroken stuff. What im looking to do is...

I'm Jailbroken right now - synch
Restore with itunes.
Synch again
Have iso 4.3.4 or 5 whatever is out at the time and still the app store apps I got while jail broken and NO cydia stuff.

Looks like the answer is Yes it will work like that. THANKS!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts