What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unjailbreak

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since yesterday one of the LEDs in my iPad started to shine brighter than it did before. The screenlight is "bleeding".
I don't like this and I want my iPad to be repaired, so I will probably have to send it to Apple. One problem; my iPad runs iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken.
Apple doesn't like jailbroken devices, I lose my warranty if they know my iPad is jailbroken.
If I restore the firmware, will there be any evidence left of that my iPad was jailbroken once?

Oh and another question.
There is also a possibility that I will get a new iPad inmediately.
The new one will run iOS 4.2.1 also, but I won't have it's blobbs saved.
Will I ever be able to jailbreak it untethered?

Thank you in advance,
Rudy

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No evidence will be left if you do a complete restore.

HOWEVER.... after the restore do NOT let it restore from a backup. This will restore all settings, including those from any jailbreak apps. I personally would rather have no remnants of the jailbreak at all on the device if I had to bring it in.

Good luck.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, Apple doesn't really care if your iPad is jailbroken. When they say that it will void the warranty, all that means in reality is that they will not help you resolve any issues you have with your iPad that are JB related... and even that is not entirely true!

I tried to JB my first generation iPod Touch and it was not as silky smooth a process as it is now. The process did not go well and I was almost ready to trash my iPod but in desperation I called Apple. To my surprise, a very knowledgeable and friendly woman talked me through restoring my iPod... for free!

So I asked her, "Why did you help me?" and she said that if she did not help me and I tossed my iPod in the trash, that would take me out of the revenue stream and I would probably never buy another Apple product. But OTOH, by helping you restore your iPod, this puts you back in the revenue stream as a happy customer who will also tell his friends (and forum members!) about his positive experience with the company.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not take that chance. I have spoken to several Apple Store geniuses who have said they absolutely will not touch a jailbroken device and that one of the tools they use tells them right away if it is. Worse, they can void your warranty--and note it.

Others said they don't really care.

But is it worth taking the risk? Not to me.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well maybe they don't have to be so nice any more since their net worth is greater than the GDP of the entire country of Ireland! (And it is also about $3 billion more than Microsoft's net worth!)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well usually they are nice! lol

When I bought my Apple TV it was a BUSY night at the Town Square Mall Apple Store in Vegas. This is an outdoor mall that has "streets" that run through where you can drive. You can park out on those streets and pay to park--useful for running in and not walking around forever. Or you can park for free in the outside lots or parking garage. Kind of a mall that you can drive around in.

Well the one time I really needed to run in and run out there was no parking, tons of rental cops writing tickets, and a packed Apple store. Ugh. So I thought I would just run in and see if I could try it really fast. Yea, left the car for 30 seconds double parked.

Well I was able to run in, find store associate, and he walked outside with me to finish the sale so we could watch my car. Did the email receipt thing and was on my way. No bag, no receipt, but just three minutes in and out. Well two of those minutes were outside. Quite impressive. :)

Michael

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I will fully restore my iPad before I bring it in, don't want to take any risk.
Thanks for the info guys!

fredsmith219

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did it go? Were they able to detect your JB, and if they were, did they void your warranty?

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's holidays now for me, I don't want to miss my iPad than. :D
So I'll send it for repair in 2011.

Most reactions

Latest posts