University Applications

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Milztillidie, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Milztillidie

Milztillidie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys,

Ok I have recently purchased an iPad 2 for me to digitalise all of my note taking and work for university. I have tried several apps to achieve this but have not found the right one yet.

My wish list is:

To be able to save my notes and archive them under different files
    To be able to import PowerPoint slides and annotate them

I am not bothered about PDF or audio recording

Any suggestions will be of great help

Thanks
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    For your notes do you want to be able to write by hand or type using the on-screen or Bluetooth keyboard? Apple's iWorks app, Keynote, can import and edit/annotate PowerPoint slides.

Tim
  3. Milztillidie

Milztillidie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Preferably either would be great , I have a stylus to annotate and would love to be able to type notes as well
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I use Notes Plus. It allows you to take handwritten or typed notes and store them under different files and folders. It can also record audio using the iPad's built-in microphone. The Developer has some great videos on his website showing the app in action, so have a look and see if it meets your needs.

Tim
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I have both Notes Plus and Note Taker HD. They have similar capabilities with the exception of support for audio notes (Not available on Note Taker HD). I personally find Note Taker HD to have a more intuitive and easy-to-use interface but YMMV.

One word of advice. Whatever app you decide upon, stick with it. Although each app is very impressive in terms of their features, you spent a number of years learning to take notes with a pen(cil) and paper. Switching to any of the note taking applications is not easy. You'll find you have to consciously think about what you're doing in a way that you don't with handwritten notes on paper. Don't expect to be nearly as efficient (at first) trying to keep up with a lecture compared to old fashioned low tech approaches.

Just like getting to Carnegie Hall, the best advice is to practice, practice, practice.

As for importing PowerPoint slides, I believe you're going to have to convert them to PDF format in order to annotate them with a handwriting note taking app. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. Jrs22

Jrs22 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have both Note Taker HD and Notes Plus but I stopped using Notes Plus for the time being. It's feature-rich but there are lots of posts on the developer's support page asking for help restoring notes that have disappeared. I think the app has a bright future but I wouldn't use it for critical documents just yet.