What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

University Applications

Milztillidie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ok I have recently purchased an iPad 2 for me to digitalise all of my note taking and work for university. I have tried several apps to achieve this but have not found the right one yet.

My wish list is:

To be able to save my notes and archive them under different files
To be able to import PowerPoint slides and annotate them

I am not bothered about PDF or audio recording

Any suggestions will be of great help

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For your notes do you want to be able to write by hand or type using the on-screen or Bluetooth keyboard? Apple's iWorks app, Keynote, can import and edit/annotate PowerPoint slides.

Tim

OP
M

Milztillidie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Preferably either would be great , I have a stylus to annotate and would love to be able to type notes as well

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Notes Plus. It allows you to take handwritten or typed notes and store them under different files and folders. It can also record audio using the iPad's built-in microphone. The Developer has some great videos on his website showing the app in action, so have a look and see if it meets your needs.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Notes Plus. It allows you to take handwritten or typed notes and store them under different files and folders. It can also record audio using the iPad's built-in microphone. The Developer has some great videos on his website showing the app in action, so have a look and see if it meets your needs.

Tim

I have both Notes Plus and Note Taker HD. They have similar capabilities with the exception of support for audio notes (Not available on Note Taker HD). I personally find Note Taker HD to have a more intuitive and easy-to-use interface but YMMV.

One word of advice. Whatever app you decide upon, stick with it. Although each app is very impressive in terms of their features, you spent a number of years learning to take notes with a pen(cil) and paper. Switching to any of the note taking applications is not easy. You'll find you have to consciously think about what you're doing in a way that you don't with handwritten notes on paper. Don't expect to be nearly as efficient (at first) trying to keep up with a lecture compared to old fashioned low tech approaches.

Just like getting to Carnegie Hall, the best advice is to practice, practice, practice.

As for importing PowerPoint slides, I believe you're going to have to convert them to PDF format in order to annotate them with a handwriting note taking app. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both Note Taker HD and Notes Plus but I stopped using Notes Plus for the time being. It's feature-rich but there are lots of posts on the developer's support page asking for help restoring notes that have disappeared. I think the app has a bright future but I wouldn't use it for critical documents just yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts