Unique and Handmade iPad Cases?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by KimbaKakes, Dec 29, 2010.

1. KimbaKakes

KimbaKakes iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like things that are "different" and prefer form over function. I've found some cool cases, but many are via UK and very expensive. I saw cute ones available at ideaphora designs, but I've never heard of them. Anyone know if they're any good?
  2. Rakuen

Rakuen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't comment on the ideaphora cases, but while looking earlier I passed over these:

iPad Cases ? 100% Custom iPad Case Designs

They have a sale going on right now with a discount code and it looks like you can use any picture or text you want. Looks like they use the SPECK casing. I don't own one personally or anything so I can't advise on the quality, but if you're looking for originality there you go. :)
  3. JAILBIRD

JAILBIRD iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you thinking of a case like Rakuen posted or are you thinking of a sleeve type case? If you are looking for a sleeve style, there are some options that look pretty good. I can't think of them off hand but a quick google search should find something.

I have been doing automotive upholstery for the past 10 years as a side business, so I made my own case from scraps of material I had around the shop. My next project is a messenger bag because I can't find one that fits just what I'm looking for.
  4. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a dodo case. Looks like a book closed. Got a comment on it first day I took it out n about. Hand made in San Fran., CA
  5. Politenessman

Politenessman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I made my own case - a good sewing machine and some 1000D Cordura makes for a very solid case.
  6. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If you're looking for a Moleskine-style case, I'd recommend either Treegloo or Portenzo, because they cost less than Dodocase and also allow a great degree of personalization (e.g. colour of inner liner, tray accents, etc.) They're all "hand-made" by virtue of the fact that you can customize them.

Dodocase may have had the advantage as one of the earliest Moleskine-case vendors, but their ongoing problems with durability (e.g. frames breaking or falling apart within days or weeks, under normal use) and their seeming inability to fix them makes it a poor option. Friends who have owned a Dodocase have not had a great ownership experience past the early euphoria of receiving it.

Along a different design path, I've use a leather iPad folio from Oberon Designs (Oberon Design journals and leather covers for Kindle, Nook, iPad, and iPhones) -- they are expensive, but their designs are quite stunning and their level of leather craftsmanship is quite unparallelled. Their semi-sealed leather is practically impervious to scratches and stains. Mine has been with me literally around the world and it looks even more gorgeous as the surface patina deepens with use.
  7. MachThree

MachThree iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Vaja (judging from the web site) makes the nicest cases I've seen but you could by an iPod Touch for what they cost and it takes a few months since they're all hand made to order.
  8. KimbaKakes

KimbaKakes iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice- I searched around and settled on the Stevie iPad sleeve on Ideaphora... I liked some of the designs on other sites, but the pattern of the Stevie was pretty awesome and for $25 it seems like a pretty good deal. I will let you all know what I think once I get my hands on it.
  9. KimbaKakes

KimbaKakes iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should post a pic of the messenger bag when you finish. I'd be interested to see how it comes out. Are you doing it for an iPad or something else?
  10. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Vaja is nice, but the price is way high and the waiting period is excessive if you're not getting one off-the-shelf from a vendor. Probably the best way to get one if you're not customizing is to wait for the occasional offer or discount coupon from an online vendor who carries their product, so that you can get a price saving as well as not have to wait.

The dealbreaker for me was researching and seeing repeated instances of poor customer service from Vaja's website -- people would be waiting months for their delayed orders, with little or no communication from the vendor. At that price and being made to wait, you would expect a bit more attention to keeping customers apprised of the status of their items and giving them peace-of-mind.

On the other hand, the leather iPad folio I ordered from Oberon was handmade and shipped in just three days, and their customer service is first-rate.
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  12. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    These are pretty unique.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking about getting one for my MacBook Pro. Not exactly practical, but I'll bet you won't run into anyone else with one.
  13. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wooden case

I've been thinking about making a padded wooden sleeve for my iPad seeing as how it's going to be spending a lot in a backpack crammed with odd-shaped things. I came across this.
  14. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The BookBook is unusual, but hardly "unique" - have seen a few of them in my Apple Store (iPad and Macbook users both). It's a nice case, but a bit too ostentatious for me (plus, I don't like the zipper closure.)
  15. Canadian144

Canadian144 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  16. chicsportschick

chicsportschick iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Protective iPad Case from G-Form

I recently saw G-Form's protective gear at Interbike and I am a huge fan of their products. Looks like they are coming out with an iPad case that is the epitome of protection. They have a video on youtube - search g-form iPad and check it out. Pretty amazing I think.
  17. jo.sta

jo.sta iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For gamers, this case looks pretty good:

[​IMG]

Hand made to order with extra compartments for books and pens. Thinking of getting one to fit my ipad + zaggmate after I save a little money. :)

[the website of the store is on the photo]
  18. leftdawg28

leftdawg28 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  19. cartergray

cartergray iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the Joe V leather ones. Very cool
  20. cartergray

cartergray iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also there is a new Brand out there: iSnugg - "It's like an UGG for your iPad" very affordable around $15.00.