What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undeleting old emails iPad Air v9.2.1

Tdreamer60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have lost an important email from about 2 weeks ago and I'm really hoping you can get it back.
I do know you can shake and it will bring back mail. Having tried this it only goes back a few days.
Is there a way of going back further? The frustrating tink about this is I'm pretty sure I didn't delete it in the first place!

Thankyou in advance for your help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What type of email account do you have? With most types, once you delete an email it's gone permanently from the mail server and all devices using the account.

OP
T

Tdreamer60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
My email is a hotmail account. Hope that helps

Thx

OP
T

Tdreamer60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it went from my inbox. As I said I'm pretty sure (can't be 100%) I didn't delete it.
I was hoping because the iPad undeleted a few mails from a few days ago, I could hopefully go back further.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A hotmail account can be set up as an IMAP, POP3, or SMTP TYPE OF ACCOUNT. With an IMAP type of account, once you delete an email on one device, it's deleted from all devices. With a POP3 type of account, emails are usually downloaded to one device and won't appear on your other devices after downloading. If you delete the email from the device it's on, it's usually permanently gone.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're sure you didn't remove it, it's possible that your iPad is set to "not show" emails after a certain amount of time. They are still on the server, but are not displayed on your iPad.

To change this, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap your Hotmail account there, and go to Mail Days to Sync.
Change to "1 Month" or "No Limit".
image.jpeg

Your email should appear again, maybe force close the Mail app to force it to load emails, and then open it again.

OP
T

Tdreamer60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just checked and it appears to be set to no limit, the total number of emails in my trash folder went up to 150 after shaking it but just sadly not far enough back in time!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you didn't delete it, the email should appear in your Inbox, not in Trash.

Try accessing your email account using a browser. If you can't find the email online, it's gone and can't be retrieved.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tdreamer60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just checked using a web browser and the trash folder contains the same 150 emails going back to last Wednesday, so I guess that's.
Thankyou for all your very quick replies.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just checked using a web browser and the trash folder contains the same 150 emails going back to last Wednesday, so I guess that's.
Thankyou for all your very quick replies.
Did you also check the Inbox?

Most reactions

Latest posts