What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to move messages after iOS 5 upgrade

robbthemann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to iOS5 2 days ago. It so far is pretty good, but I am having a small problem with the Mail. I can no longer move messages from one mailbox to another. Why? Can this be fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to iOS5 2 days ago. It so far is pretty good, but I am having a small problem with the Mail. I can no longer move messages from one mailbox to another. Why? Can this be fixed?
Glad the upgrade went well. I haven't heard of the mail issue. I'm going to give your question its own thread in the iPF Help area so that others can review and hopefully share a resolution.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A little more info please.

What account/service are you using: iCloud, GMail, Yahoo, etc?

What are the symptoms? The move option is gone, the option does not work, details.

OP
R

robbthemann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
A little more info please.

What account/service are you using: iCloud, GMail, Yahoo, etc?

What are the symptoms? The move option is gone, the option does not work, details.

========

Prior to iOS5 I had 2 email accounts on my iPad -- one from my university and one with sympatico. I was able to hit edit-move and the select the inbox of the other account ( either sympatico --> university or vice- versa) and move messages there. With iOS5 I can do everything except the last step: the inbox of the other account is always greyed out and so cannot be selected.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I see what you mean. I'd never tried to move an email from a folder in one account to another before, so I gave it a try. I can successfully move emails from my iCloud to my Yahoo account inboxes, but not to my Google account (which is set up as an Exchange account). I can move an email from the Google inbox to either of the other two.

From this I conclude that you can only move to an IMAP account, but probably from any account type. Though I never actually tested a POP account it is by far the most limited, and unlikely let you move email to an inbox.

Since I never tried this with iOS 4, I can't verify that it's the iOS update itself that changed this. So, my recommendation is:

First, try the usual fixes listed below, if you haven't already done so.

If both accounts are IMAP, then delete and re-add the accounts. This often fixes minor problems.

And if nothing else does the job, well, all I can do is point out that you can still forward your email to the other account. Sorry. :eek:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to close it.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that you can move e-mails to a Gmail account IF you don't set it up as an Exchange account. When I set up my Gmail account, that's why I picked the normal option, because I wanted to move between accounts.

So, whichever account you are trying to move to, may I suggest you try to set it up as a NON Exchange account. I think that's the one thing that prevents the transfer...

Good luck.

Marilyn

hotwheels97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok. I see what you mean. I'd never tried to move an email from a folder in one account to another before, so I gave it a try. I can successfully move emails from my iCloud to my Yahoo account inboxes, but not to my Google account (which is set up as an Exchange account). I can move an email from the Google inbox to either of the other two.

From this I conclude that you can only move to an IMAP account, but probably from any account type. Though I never actually tested a POP account it is by far the most limited, and unlikely let you move email to an inbox.

Since I never tried this with iOS 4, I can't verify that it's the iOS update itself that changed this. So, my recommendation is:

First, try the usual fixes listed below, if you haven't already done so.

If both accounts are IMAP, then delete and re-add the accounts. This often fixes minor problems.

And if nothing else does the job, well, all I can do is point out that you can still forward your email to the other account. Sorry. :eek:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to close it.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Ver nice!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, the default GMail account is IMAP, so it should work.

BTW, it is possible to set GMail up as both IMAP (default) and Exchange. You just have to be careful not to turn on the same services in both accounts. So you could turn off everything except Mail and Notes in the IMAP account, and when you create the Exchange account only turn on Calendars and Contacts. That way you can have the best of both worlds. :)

I did this for a while, and it worked well. Right now I've turned off everything except the Mail; but I keep both account types set up for testing purposes.

Most reactions

Latest posts