What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to load epubs or PDF's from iBooks

meddyliol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought a 128Gb iPad Air 2. I have managed to get all of my music and apps on it but am having problems with books. On my Macbook Pro I have, probably, about 150 books in iBooks. When I start iTunes it shows 60 which I have put on the iPad. How do I get the rest of the books from iBooks onto the iPad?

Thanks in anticipation

Brian

OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, they are not. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you need to have all of the books available at the same time? Initially I put loads on my iPad but then I moved most to a server as I got frustrated by the latest book, usually as a reference, I looked at being placed at the top of the list when books shows all books by their cover. I then use FileBrowser (or they could be on dropbox or icloud) to import more as and when. Just a thought.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you need to have all of the books available at the same time? Initially I put loads on my iPad but then I moved most to a server as I got frustrated by the latest book, usually as a reference, I looked at being placed at the top of the list when books shows all books by their cover. I then use FileBrowser (or they could be on dropbox or icloud) to import more as and when. Just a thought.
That's an idea. I used my Mac mini to copy books and .PDF files to Dropbox. Then I can open the file anytime within an iOS app that includes the ability to read files from online storage.

Documents, by Readdle, can even upload to and read from its own folder on your iCloud account. There are several iOS apps that have this capability.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

You probably know this stuff, but I'll mention it in case other's don't.

In cover view, in any collection except All, you can re-arrainge books by tap-hold-dragging them.

In list view, you can sort by Bookshelf, Title, Author, or Category. Like the cover view, Bookshelf can be re-arrainged. Tap Select, then use the drag handle at the right of the item to drag it up or down. Again, does not work in the All collection. As compensation, the All books list can be sorted by most recent.

Edit: Just noticed that if you are in cover view you can swipe left and right to move between collections. Handy, if you only have a few collections. Not so much if you have a lot of them, like I do.

OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My question was about why the books appear on iBooks on my Macbook but only a relatively few appear in itunes. I know I can read them via Dropbox which is fine as long as I am near my router but I want the books on the iPad.

OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your informative replies. I don't know what is happening but the books on itunes are creeping up, now on 151 books. I will use dropbox as well though, didn't realise I could use that.

Cheers

Brian

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should be able to control all book syncing in iTunes. Your device needs to be connected and selected in iTunes on the computer. Once it is you select Books from the left column and you will see the sync controls. You can sync all books, or selected books.

One you have the setting they way you want, choose the Sync or Apply button.

If you have not been syncing your iPad in iTunes using this method, it's a good idea to do a transfer purchases first (in the Files menu), and check all other sync settings to make sure they are not set to do something you won't like.

It's also a good idea to do a backup before you make any of these changes.

Note: Even though you have an iBooks app on the Mac for reading your books, the actual syncing of iBook still happens in iTunes.

iBooksSync.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts