What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to hear caller on facetime

scubadiver12165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no problem using my iPad and talked to my wife earlier using FaceTime. Now, when she calls me or I call her through FaceTime, she can hear me but I can't hear her. My iPad 2 volume is up and her phone is not on mute. We tried again several times and I was unable to hear her through the iPad.

Anyone encountered this before?

kingland20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have the same problem FaceTime was working ok but now I can hear the sender but they cannot hear me. What are we doing wrong as we also have vol to max.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Give these steps a try-
Do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now. if not a restart is in order.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will start again. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

When your iPad begins to behave strangely these are the first steps you should do to rectify it. Let us know how you go, good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

kingland20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

Thank you very much. I will try this later on when I see my son. I will let you know how I get on.

Trishgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done all the above, but my mic is muted in facetime. I can hear everyone, but they CANNOT hear me. I've double checked the screen lock is off, changed it to volume lock, etc.. Turned it off, did a reset. It's really freakin' me out. Actually I'm pretty relaxed, but I like facetime, and I'd like to be able to use it. Any suggestions?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trishgrace said:
I have done all the above, but my mic is muted in facetime. I can hear everyone, but they CANNOT hear me. I've double checked the screen lock is off, changed it to volume lock, etc.. Turned it off, did a reset. It's really freakin' me out. Actually I'm pretty relaxed, but I like facetime, and I'd like to be able to use it. Any suggestions?

The mic on the iPad is that tiny slit you can see on the top of the iPad when held in portrait mode. You need to project your voice here for the sound to be picked up. Be careful when playing with the settings to change the toggle switch from screen lock to volume as its very easy to actually lock the sound here by mistake. The only other sound control is revealed by doing the 4 finger up swipe or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar, swipe right and you will find a sound control here, make sure this is on. That's all I can think of right now.

Trishgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the new suggestions. I'm worried that I may have some type of ap discontinuity. When I signed back on this evening - after having closed all open aps from the bottom bar with the minus signs, and thendone a reset and a full recharge - my facetime came back on with my contacts in the upsidedown posution from the camera (yes, I know you can turn the whole thing upside down, too, but it puts the camera BELOW you. One I had the contact entered, I could then turn it back 180* to its upright position. Still the mute is engaged(I get the muted symbol), and no matter how many times I poke the silly thing (no matter what position the toggle lock is in) the thing will not become unmuted. Haven't done a wired sync recently. I will try that and let you know how it goes. ALL my volume settings (on the bottom bar the whole way to the left and within itunes) are up and on. Thanks for you continuing suggestions. I haven't checked to see if I muted the volume in netflix or youtube even though I don't think that will have any bearing on it I'll check there, too. Thanks for your kindness with my confusing problem.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trishgrace said:
Thanks for the new suggestions. I'm worried that I may have some type of ap discontinuity. When I signed back on this evening - after having closed all open aps from the bottom bar with the minus signs, and thendone a reset and a full recharge - my facetime came back on with my contacts in the upsidedown posution from the camera (yes, I know you can turn the whole thing upside down, too, but it puts the camera BELOW you. One I had the contact entered, I could then turn it back 180* to its upright position. Still the mute is engaged(I get the muted symbol), and no matter how many times I poke the silly thing (no matter what position the toggle lock is in) the thing will not become unmuted. Haven't done a wired sync recently. I will try that and let you know how it goes. ALL my volume settings (on the bottom bar the whole way to the left and within itunes) are up and on. Thanks for you continuing suggestions. I haven't checked to see if I muted the volume in netflix or youtube even though I don't think that will have any bearing on it I'll check there, too. Thanks for your kindness with my confusing problem.

Yes that is strange that your contacts were upside down. Once I activated zoom on my iPad and even though I turned it off my screen kept wobbling all over the place, I was getting seasick from it. I actually reset my iPad 4 times before it came good. So maybe another reset is the way to go here. Your mute symbol being on would point to a problem here and I know from experience if you play with the settings that the mute can be locked on even though it says the sound is there. What do you have the toggle set for. Is it in the up or down position? Let me know

Trishgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Toggle is in the up (unlocked) position. I've tried it both ways. With toggle set to volume AND then set to orientation lock.

With the mute being stuck on, the picture NEVER changes from muted. Just continues to show the mic with the line through it.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Goodness I've been fiddling with mine for a while and it is possible to lock the sound in while changing the settings. Then you have to keep changing through the toggle and settings to get the sound back on. Confusing to try to tell you what I'm doing here though. I don't get a mute symbol at the top though, but the lock one will show up there. I don't know what else I can suggest for you to do here. Another reset maybe, and play with the settings and toggle, but that's all I have. Maybe a trip to Apple is the best step to take. I wish I could come up with a better solution for you.

Trishgrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, for trying. I'll try resetting again, then, I'm not too far from an apple store! I'll let you know how this story ends. : )

LRB2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ducking on Facetime

I have a similar problem. When my mic picks up sound the volumn on my iPad gets muted (ducking is the technical term) yet the other caller cam hear me perfectly when he talks at the same time i do. Is there a setting i need to change? How can i make it work properly?

BingWing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no problem using my iPad and talked to my wife earlier using FaceTime. Now, when she calls me or I call her through FaceTime, she can hear me but I can't hear her. My iPad 2 volume is up and her phone is not on mute. We tried again several times and I was unable to hear her through the iPad.

BingWing

iPF Noob
Reaction score

BingWing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I had the same problem but I have now sorted it out !

I checked the on-screen volume and it was at full level but I still had difficulty hearing my FaceTime caller. I looked everywhere for another volume control but I couldn't find one. It took me a while to work out the problem but it seams that the on-screen volume button and the physical volume button are two different controls entirely!

Your problem will be solved if you simply turn up the physical volume button that is located at the bottom edge of your iPad. It sounds too simple but it actually works!!!

Enjoy your full volume FaceTime

Regards, BingWing

Most reactions

Latest posts