What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to connect via telephone when iPad on, I think!

Roy Bland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have friends and relatives that have purchased iPads and I have noticed that on many occasions, when I telephone them, there is no connection to their number. No ringing tone, nothing. Other times, I get the answer machine, and am able to leave a message. It seems that when they are at home they have the iPad on and I can’t get through and when they are out I can, but just to the answer machine. I also have others that iPad on or not, I can get through on the telephone, no problem.

Is there a glitch and can it be rectified by changing a setting on the iPad.

Any help most appreciated, Roy

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have friends and relatives that have purchased iPads and I have noticed that on many occasions, when I telephone them, there is no connection to their number. No ringing tone, nothing. Other times, I get the answer machine, and am able to leave a message. It seems that when they are at home they have the iPad on and I can’t get through and when they are out I can, but just to the answer machine. I also have others that iPad on or not, I can get through on the telephone, no problem.

Is there a glitch and can it be rectified by changing a setting on the iPad.

Any help most appreciated, Roy
G'day Roy and welcome to the forum. I'm not at all sure where I stand with this answer but I believe if someone has a copper-wire telephone connection and is at the same time using that telephone line connected to a modem/router to transmit internet data, there could well be "confusion" between the two signals. The answer has usually been to attach an inexpensive easily-obtainable "splitter filter" to filter out the 'phone signal. It's just possible that is what is happening at your friends' end, so such an inexpensive filter may be the answer. I'm hoping someone with more refined technical knowledge will chip in to explain or improve upon what is just a thought here based on you description. And you may already know all that:)
Andrew

OP
R

Roy Bland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Roy and welcome to the forum. I'm not at all sure where I stand with this answer but I believe if someone has a copper-wire telephone connection and is at the same time using that telephone line connected to a modem/router to transmit internet data, there could well be "confusion" between the two signals. The answer has usually been to attach an inexpensive easily-obtainable "splitter filter" to filter out the 'phone signal. It's just possible that is what is happening at your friends' end, so such an inexpensive filter may be the answer. I'm hoping someone with more refined technical knowledge will chip in to explain or improve upon what is just a thought here based on you description. And you may already know all that:)
Andrew

Many thanks, will have words and check that they have the Splitter Filter fitted.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks, will have words and check that they have the Splitter Filter fitted.

Hi Roy - I believe that Andrew is on the right track - please let us know if your friends have 'landlines' (i.e. copper wired) and whether 'all' that you are trying to contact use a 'dial-up' modem? Years ago when we were on 'dial-up', the phone line could be used for just one purpose, either being online or making/receiving a call (not both - a simple phone line splitter will not help) - depending on the phone company's specifications/standards, devices could be used that would hang up the internet connection and allow a phone call to be received.

I'm not sure where you are located but if indeed dial-up is still being used, then an alternative would be the best option (albeit more expensive), e.g. DSL, cable, satellite, etc.

Now if the use of dial-up is a possible explanation, I'm not sure why you would not get a 'busy' signal? My in-laws use to complain repeatedly in those days about constant busy signals on our phone line - maybe a good reason to use dial-up? ;) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts