What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Ipad 3G, Are they locked like mobiles are?

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my Ipad on Orange 3g on contract, Just wondered if when the contract expires and I go on maybe Pay & Go can I only use Orange? Are the Ipads locked like mobiles are does anyone know?

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Orange ones are, I don't believe any of the others are. Not sure if Orange will unlock it at the end of the term or if you can use T-Mobile SIMs in them (as they now share networks).

Mavlar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No1zeppelinfan said:
I have my Ipad on Orange 3g on contract, Just wondered if when the contract expires and I go on maybe Pay & Go can I only use Orange? Are the Ipads locked like mobiles are does anyone know?

If you got the iPad at a discounted rate because you brought a data plan with it then these models come locked to the network and you can't unlock them but if you paid full price they come unlocked.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mavlar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No1zeppelinfan said:
Ah I see. Paid £200 (32GB, 3g & Wi-fi) and £20 pm with 2GB data for 24 months. So suppose thats locked then?

As kaykaykay has said certain carriers will be able to after you have fulfilled your contract mate, give them a ring and see what they say.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie and just got ipad2 with data sim from Vodaphone,
I enquirered about getting it unlocked for when I go to Australia
And Vodaphone say it's not locked to them.

bobsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be at the end of the contract your iPad will be unlocked. At the end of contract if your iPad is still locked then you can just unlock it, there are many unlock code provider who can provide you a unlock code.

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
My iPad 2 has been unlocked by Vodaphone uk after only one month into contract no questions asked.
I applied online via Vodaphone support.

I have also had my iPhone 3GS unlocked by O2 only 3 days after putting in an online request, this is 3 months into a contract
Both companies advertise the fact that they will unlock if requested

It seems a lot easier than I thought it would be, and cheaper and safer than some other methods
At the end of the day i still have to fulfil the contracts to Vodaphone and O2 but I can travel abroad and swap sims willy nilly so to speak

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
My iPad 2 has been unlocked by Vodaphone uk after only one month into contract no questions asked.
I applied online via Vodaphone support.

I have also had my iPhone 3GS unlocked by O2 only 3 days after putting in an online request, this is 3 months into a contract
Both companies advertise the fact that they will unlock if requested

It seems a lot easier than I thought it would be, and cheaper and safer than some other methods
At the end of the day i still have to fulfil the contracts to Vodaphone and O2 but I can travel abroad and swap sims willy nilly so to speak

ooh Thats good to know, Thanks. I'll ask Orange. Cheers

Most reactions