What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ubuntu and iOS5... Day 1

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
As a million of you, I've upgrade to the new iOS5 on my iPad1 and my iPhone3GS. Since I am an Ubuntu user, I knew that I would probably loose connectivity with my devices... And it's now confirmed :(

Using Ubuntu 11.10, my laptop is able to see the device, but cannot access it. An error shows up saying something about the device being locked down. Now I have to be patient until the team of libimobiledevice makes their library compatible with the new iOS5.

On a good note, I am still able to tether via bluetooth.

So if you are an Ubuntu User, you might just want to wait a bit until that issue is solved.

In my case, it's not a big deal as I can rely on dropbox for most of the thing I do. But since iTunes deleted my music imported using Banshee, I need to find another way to re-import my music... A last sync with iTunes?

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I was able to install iTunes 10.5 using PlayonLinux. A bit unstable, but I was able to activate home sharing... I was not able to sync via USB but if I could link this iTunes with my device, I could sync over wifi...

Seems that once you locked your device with one instance of iTunes, you cannot change it, at least from the device...

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Small update: a new library is now available making the device visible again. Photos and music can be extracted as before, but that's it for now.

VicoPad addict!

shaneo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lib driver

Can someone please tell me where I can get the lib drivers for my IPAD iOS 5 for Ubuntu 11.10 and who do I install them please.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
shaneo said:
Can someone please tell me where I can get the lib drivers for my IPAD iOS 5 for Ubuntu 11.10 and who do I install them please.

Just wait a bit more, that lib is is still in development and not stable at all..I would not be surprised to see an update from the regular repos in a week or two...

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ubuntu got updated and the app folders are back as before... Great! This is on Ubuntu 11.10.

I've purchased the app GoodReader, for lots of reasons. But I also discovered that the integrated media player in GoodReader does a pretty decent job for music. It's not the iPod app.. Oh wait, the music app, but you can play an entire folder. If it could shuffle, that would be perfect. Music still plays in the background

It does play also movies, but FlexPlayer, which is free, does that and can play multiple formats, not just mp4.

Another good thing with GoodReader: it's able to download files from all kinds of sources. FTP, HTTP, etc... So if you want to have a server with all your media files, you can share the content over WebDAV, or FTP and update your media libraries over wifi if you don't want to connect with the USB cable...

So my fellow penguin friends, it's almost perfect in Ubuntu.

VicoPad addict!

Last edited:

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been an Ubuntu user before. One of the things that hindered my plans to use it as my full time OS is the connectivity problems with certain gadgets like the iDevices of course. Glad to see it moving forward! I do hope it gets more support because I think Ubuntu is a very good operating system and is perfect for those who are tired of Windows are are apprehensive to switch to Mac OS X. By the way, the Ubuntu community is very good and helpful. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts