What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typing is getting irritating for me on the iPad Keyboard

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I dont know if you guys also feel this, but I wonder if typing on the iPad keyboard is fullproof and effective, I mean though the keyboard is spaciously spaced out and stuff but I often make spelling mistakes with it, and just to clarify I dont make such mistakes, so many mistakes while typing on a Physical Keyboard. So how do you guys cope up with it. The most irritating part for me is a lot of time even after I have felt I have entered/pressed a key/alphabet it fails to register it like for e.g if I have typed "you" it would only type "yo" thus failing to register the last alphabet key "u" and this happens a lot of times with me... I dont know why does it happen and how do I handle it. But I also believe since it is a virtual keyboard I could only apply a gentle pressure and not bang it hard for the key to register as that would break, damage the screen.

Guys do you guys have any piece of advice/ help for me. I am seriously irritated with this phenomenon. Any Help !

Thanks Guys.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Virtual keypads take some getting used to. No, you should not need to bang the letters, I barely need to touch mine. Somedays, it is better than others(sometimes I have an issue with the space bar registering correctly). Do you have spell check enabled? If you do, a lot of those mistakes will be auto corrected by your device. Even if you do, still pay attention. Auto correct sometimes subs words you don't want in there. As a matter of fact, there is a whole website to mis autocorrected exchanges. Very funny!
But then don't go the other way and get lazy like I did. When I am on my hubby's laptop, I'm like "where is the darn autocorrect/fill function on this thing!" Like I have to actually type as intended???!! Crazy!
Also, make sure your screen is calibrated correctly and you have the sensitivity set to what works for you. I like light touches. But my autistic son finds this too sensitive, so his is set to heavy taps needed. This setting is in your general tab.

OP
M

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, make sure your screen is calibrated correctly and you have the sensitivity set to what works for you. I like light touches. But my autistic son finds this too sensitive, so his is set to heavy taps needed. This setting is in your general tab.

Oh I didn't know that I can Calibrate my screen...How does one do that ? I just tought that once the iPad unit was out of the factory calibrated one cannot do it again ?? So r u saying depending on my comfort with the screen sensitivity I can still increase or decrease the screen sensitivity ?Wow that would be great !! How do I do that ?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, iPads are calibrated in the factory and there's no way for a user to do that. Jailbreaking can mess up your calibration, but if you restore to factory conditions, that should fix calibration. If your iPad has bad calibration, take it back to Apple.

For typing, a virtual keyboard takes getting used to. Some people find that getting a separate keyboard is useful, depending on how much typing you do. There also are keyboard overlays that you can place over the virtual keyboard, which I guess some people find useful. I don't use them, so can't say. I have a BT Apple keyboard that I pair with iPad if I want to do more typing than usual. It works well.

By the way, there's a setting for disabled people that babytoes might be referring to under settings. It's called assistive touch, under accessibility.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know of any screen calibration on an iPad. Where exactly is that? Is this something to do with Accessibility? I know there is the Home-click speed, but I don't think that is a calibration, it is more of a setting. There is something called assistive touch, but I'm not clear on what that does.

OP: Some version of iOS support dictation. Have you tried it? It works well most of the time.

The other option, if you type a lot, is to get a bluetooth keyboard. There are several on the market, so do your homework to find the one best for your needs.

Some people type well on a touch screen. I'm not one of them. I use the split screen most of the time, but if I need to do lots of typing I use a real keyboard.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know of any screen calibration on an iPad. Where exactly is that? Is this something to do with Accessibility? I know there is the Home-click speed, but I don't think that is a calibration, it is more of a setting. There is something called assistive touch, but I'm not clear on what that does.

OP: Some version of iOS support dictation. Have you tried it? It works well most of the time.

The other option, if you type a lot, is to get a bluetooth keyboard. There are several on the market, so do your homework to find the one best for your needs.

Some people type well on a touch screen. I'm not one of them. I use the split screen most of the time, but if I need to do lots of typing I use a real keyboard.

Assistive touch is for people with motor skills probs. It doesn't have anything to do with calibration:

Apple - Accessibility - iPhone - Physical & Motor Skills

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't figure it did, but was giving BOD to the other poster. :)

Yes, I figured. I mentioned it earlier because babytoes mentioned her autistic son and I thought she might be referring to assistive touch, because AFAIK there's no calibrating an iPad on your own.

OP
M

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am aware about the voice dictation part but Siri and the Voice dictation feature lot of times misses or messes what I am saying...Maybe is not able to pick up my Accent. I am in India.

And if I were to use a Bluetooth Keyboard with an iPad I might as well go to my desktop or Laptop why would I waste time on a iPad then :D... Just a thought :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And if I were to use a Bluetooth Keyboard with an iPad I might as well go to my desktop or Laptop why would I waste time on a iPad then :D... Just a thought :)

Lot of people do...because the combination is still of lighter weight than most laptops. Just another thought.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I figured. I mentioned it earlier because babytoes mentioned her autistic son and I thought she might be referring to assistive touch, because AFAIK there's no calibrating an iPad on your own.

Frankly. I'm glad here is no calibrating...because that would lead to user nightmares. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly. I'm glad here is no calibrating...because that would lead to user nightmares. :)

It could, but resetting to default settings should be an option if that were the case. I've no need to recalibrate, but it might be useful for some people with touch probs.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Under Settings > Sounds, turn up the Ringer and Alerts volume slider so you can hear yourself type. That may help teach you to type without missing letters.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
M

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under Settings > Sounds, turn up the Ringer and Alerts volume slider so you can hear yourself type. That may help teach you to type without missing letters.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Ok, That sounds like an interesting idea, will try and see if it works for me :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do a decent amount of typing and I also have some issues with keys not always registering and auto correct silliness. I have found that slowing down a little bit helps immensely and I actually save time since slowing down takes care of any issues so I don't have to go back and fix stuff. A sensitivity feature would be welcomed. I do have a splash masque screen protector on which probably inhibits a slight amount of touch sensitivity. Overall, it's still pretty useful and I really like the tap keyboard. It's sounds cool too, almost like an old typewriter.

Most reactions

Latest posts