What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two (probably basic) questions for the hacking community

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. How would one (or can one ) access the iPad system files and "push" them to a shared network drive. I can browse the lan with filebrowser, and I can pull files off of my jailbroken wirelessly via open ssh and winscp. What I'm not sure about is how to access system files when navigating from the ipad (/var & subdirectories) and push them to a shared network drive.

2. What app do you folks use for streaming avi files off of network drives? I tried installing vlc streamer helper app on host pc. It worked (sorta). very slow. Was wonderin about another way.

Thanks listers...

Spice002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't help with #1, but for #2, I use XBMC. It's really nice and works with shared folders in Windows as well as NAS's. It also has codec's for h.264, as well as XviD. Here's their Wiki entry on how to install it:
wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch

OP
B

Bullpen7979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spice,
A huge "thank-you" for the xbmc recommendation. That is exactly what I was looking for, and more.
Now to learn a little about how to view the shows the wife and I like to watch on occasion
I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of the potential here. So far added files from local LAN
....saw a few of the offerings for fox news etc. any other helpful hints you have in this direction gladly accepted.
Again, thanks & regards...

Most reactions

Latest posts