1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Two (probably basic) questions for the hacking community

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by Bullpen7979, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Bullpen7979

Bullpen7979 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. How would one (or can one ) access the iPad system files and "push" them to a shared network drive. I can browse the lan with filebrowser, and I can pull files off of my jailbroken wirelessly via open ssh and winscp. What I'm not sure about is how to access system files when navigating from the ipad (/var & subdirectories) and push them to a shared network drive.

2. What app do you folks use for streaming avi files off of network drives? I tried installing vlc streamer helper app on host pc. It worked (sorta). very slow. Was wonderin about another way.

Thanks listers...
  2. Spice002

Spice002 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't help with #1, but for #2, I use XBMC. It's really nice and works with shared folders in Windows as well as NAS's. It also has codec's for h.264, as well as XviD. Here's their Wiki entry on how to install it:
    wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch
  3. Bullpen7979

Bullpen7979 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Spice,
    A huge "thank-you" for the xbmc recommendation. That is exactly what I was looking for, and more.
    Now to learn a little about how to view the shows the wife and I like to watch on occasion
    I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of the potential here. So far added files from local LAN
    ....saw a few of the offerings for fox news etc. any other helpful hints you have in this direction gladly accepted.
    Again, thanks & regards...