What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two [Operating] Issues...

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Issue #1... Last night I synced my i2 and in the process downloaded about 1500 images to my iMac. When I was done, I unplugged the i2 and set it aside. Just a few minuted later I tried to start the i2 (using the home button of course) and there was no response... I wondered if I had turned it off completely so I held the corner button (sorry - I don't remember its official name right now)... No response from that either. I then tried plugging it in to the iMac again to see it iTunes recognized it... Nothing. Finally, fearing that I would cause a factory reset, I held both the home button and the corner button. The apple appeared and once it was fully booted everything operated normally again - as if nothing had ever occurred. What gives with that?

Issue #2. I can't seem to connect to the iTunes store to update Evernote. I seem to be able to connect to the store for any other app, but not for Evernote. Does this sound familiar to anyone?Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Issue 1 is not uncommon. Like any computer the iPad occasionally gets locked up. The reset method you used is what Apple recommends when a normal restart does not work, and as you noticed it does not remove any data from the iPad.

I'm not sure about the Evernote issue. It seems strange. Make sure you are on a good wi-fi connection and give it another try.

If it persists in failing the update, first make sure Evernote is synced with the server (so that you lose no data) then try deleting it and reinstalling.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just installed the latest Evernote update a few moments ago. Worked as normal. Maybe just give it another go...?

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
twerppoet said:
Issue 1 is not uncommon. Like any computer the iPad occasionally gets locked up. The reset method you used is what Apple recommends when a normal restart does not work, and as you noticed it does remove any data from the iPad.

I'm not sure about the Evernote issue. It seems strange. Make sure you are on a good wi-fi connection and give it another try.

If it persists in failing the update, first make sure Evernote is synced with the server (so that you lose no data) then try deleting it and reinstalling.

Twerp, I wasn't clear. After the two-button reset, I DID NOT lose any data!!! I expected to, but did not. Thanks for your response.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Issue 1 is not uncommon. Like any computer the iPad occasionally gets locked up. The reset method you used is what Apple recommends when a normal restart does not work, and as you noticed it does remove any data from the iPad.

If it persists in failing the update, first make sure Evernote is synced with the server (so that you don't lose no data) then try deleting it and reinstalling.

Twerp, I wasn't clear. After the two-button reset, I DID NOT lose any data!!! I expected to, but did not. Thanks for your response.

I think twerppoet made a typo. He meant "does not remove"... He knows you should never lose data when resetting an iPad :D

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Typo and lack of proof reading on my part. I meant "does not". I'll go back and correct it. :eek:

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I think twerppoet made a typo. He meant "does not remove"... He knows you should never lose data when resetting an iPad :D

Indeed. I'm quite embarrassed. Those negatives are so important, and easy to misplace. :eek:
No need for embarrassment or apologies Twerp. Your input was appreciated regardless of the typo. I'm just glad to get feedback.

On the case of the Evernote. I deleted and reinstalled as you suggested and everything is fine in that area.

Thanks again,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good, glad it's fixed. I'll keep my embarrassment though. It's good for me, and I really should remember to proof read. ;)

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
twerppoet said:
Good, glad it's fixed. I'll keep my embarrassment though. It's good for me, and I really should remember to proof read. ;)

I know this is a relatively old post Twerp, but the issue reappeared (with other apps) and I have not found the time to do any further research. I still think it is a byproduct of OS 4.3.5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Occasional problems with app happens. I haven't heard of it happening any more often with 4.3.5 than any other version. If the reset is not working, or you feel you are having to do it too often, you may want to try a restore. You will lose data in a restore unless you are very careful.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

Don't trust the restore from backup completely. Make sure important files are stored elsewhere, even if you have to mail them to yourself.

A restore is pretty much the most you can do yourself. After that it's Apple support, and a probably replacement device.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
twerppoet said:
Occasional problems with app happens. I haven't heard of it happening any more often with 4.3.5 than any other version. If the reset is not working, or you feel you are having to do it too often, you may want to try a restore. You will lose data in a restore unless you are very careful.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

Don't trust the restore from backup completely. Make sure important files are stored elsewhere, even if you have to mail them to yourself.

A restore is pretty much the most you can do yourself. After that it's Apple support, and a probably replacement device.

Well Mr. Twerp, as it would happen, after I reported that my situation was NOT resolved, almost magically just a few moments ago, my update count doubled. So I updated and they ALL updated. All is fine again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's often the way of it.

When dealing with the various iStores you always have to consider temporary server problems, network issues, other miscellaneous glitches, and or maintenance that only look like the iPad is to blame.

Glad you're back in the green zone. :)

Most reactions