What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two older iPads (iOS 9.35 & iOS 10.3.3) stopped working this week

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if I am posting in incorrect area but I am not real good with tech matters. I have an older iPad mini (9.35) and a bigger iPad (iOS 10.3.3) and I am unable to use them this week for email. I am not able to update the Apple software.
Can anyone help? Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if I am posting in incorrect area but I am not real good with tech matters. I have an older iPad mini (9.35) and a bigger iPad (iOS 10.3.3) and I am unable to use them this week for email. I am not able to update the Apple software.
Can anyone help? Thank you.

Hello Scrabble - you need to provide some more information - first, from your description above (and using the Wiki charts below), I'm assuming that you have the 1st G iPad Mini (iOS 10.3.5. max) and the iPad 4th G (iOS 10.3.3. max) - iOS max as you indicate - both of these devices were released in November 2012, so really 'aging out' - are you having battery issues w/ either one, i.e. do both still charge and if at 100%, how long does the charge hold?

Second, you need to provide further details on your email issues - how do you retrieve your email? Assume that you have been using the iOS Mail apps - correct? Also assume that you have an ISP providing internet service - what type, i.e. dialup, cable, DSL, or satellite? Have there been any changes in that service? Do you have other devices (e.g. a computer) that can still get email on the same service? If not, have you 'power recycled' your modem and router (may be in one unit)? Can your iPads retrieve email elsewhere, e.g. at a coffee shop or other Wi-Fi hot spot? Let me stop there for you to respond - answers to these questions will help greatly. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.47.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.49.33 PM.png

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thank you so much for your timely and informative reply. I purchased these two iPads in July 2013. They both will charge to 100% but the charge doesn’t last too long. My email provider is AT&T Yahoo DSL (but I am not at all happy with it as I receive about 30 crappy offensive spam emails daily - the blocking feature on yahoo is useless). I do have a desktop computer which is hooked up to a Netgear Router Wif Router. I don’t take my iPads and use them in public places - I only use them in my home.

I had both of these iPads turned off for about a good week and upon turning them back on, I was unable to receive any email on them (I kept getting a strange message saying Yahoo was the problem). Anyway, I left them both on all night last night, and this morning they both worked again and now seem fine. I was very puzzled by this and thus the reason I posted my inquiry. I hope that this is not too confusing. This has never happened before and I am thinking that maybe the reason they seemed to be stuck in limbo is because they were turned off for days and perhaps it took them awhile to catch-up or function properly again. However, I really don’t know.....as I am not that great with technology.

Thanks again so much for your assistance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thank you so much for your timely and informative reply. I purchased these two iPads in July 2013. They both will charge to 100% but the charge doesn’t last too long. My email provider is AT&T Yahoo DSL (but I am not at all happy with it as I receive about 30 crappy offensive spam emails daily - the blocking feature on yahoo is useless). I do have a desktop computer which is hooked up to a Netgear Router Wif Router. I don’t take my iPads and use them in public places - I only use them in my home.

I had both of these iPads turned off for about a good week and upon turning them back on, I was unable to receive any email on them (I kept getting a strange message saying Yahoo was the problem). Anyway, I left them both on all night last night, and this morning they both worked again and now seem fine. I was very puzzled by this and thus the reason I posted my inquiry. I hope that this is not too confusing. This has never happened before and I am thinking that maybe the reason they seemed to be stuck in limbo is because they were turned off for days and perhaps it took them awhile to catch-up or function properly again.....

Hi again Scrabble - first, you may have a battery issue w/ the iPads of that age - the 'battery health' and cycle count would need to be checked, which could be done at an Apple store or an authorized Apple service - the other option in your desktop computer is an Apple, is to download Coconut Battery which easily checks those battery features.

Second, your mail seems to now be working - correct? I have a Yahoo account (on Spectrum cable) w/ an Apple router - the other day Yahoo was out for about 6 hrs and I had to just wait - maybe a similar issue w/ you? Again, 'power recycling' your DSL modem and router can also be a solution, so keep that in mind for next time (there's always a next time - ;)) - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts