What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Mail Trash Folders

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes different devices/computer clients set up Trash folders of their own, and they show up as folders named Trash, rather than the trash can icon. Depending on what device, web client, computer you delete from, the email goes to those folders.

This varies from account type to account type.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not really. If you go through the settings of your other clients you may be able to reset your Trash to an IMAP trash folder on the server. But whether you can do that, and what the results will be differ from client to client.

You may be able to adjust where the Trash is stored on the iPad, depending on the account type. Open your account and search through the options. You can sometimes find it under an Advanced tab after selecting the account email address after selecting the account itself. :)

MobileMe will let you change the Trash location to an IMAP folder. So will Yahoo.

Google as an Exchange account won't. Google as a GMail account looks like it will, but it doesn't list any folders to choose from, at least on my account. That may be because I don't have Mail syncing turned on for that account.

pulpwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes different devices/computer clients set up Trash folders of their own, and they show up as folders named Trash, rather than the trash can icon. Depending on what device, web client, computer you delete from, the email goes to those folders.

This varies from account type to account type.
I had an old iPhone 4 which had two trash folders. One showed trash from my laptop, the other trash from my iPhone 4. I just got a 6S and it only has trash folder from my IPhone. How do I get a trash folder which shows my deleted laptop emails.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the account is an IMAP or Exchange account, the second Trash folder should show up under the account's folders. Tap the email list until you're seeing the inbox(s). Below the inboxes you should see a list of your accounts and the folders in them. Check to see if there is a second Trash folder (one without the trashcan icon). This is probably your laptop's trash.

As you see, I have a second trash folder in my Gmail acocout. It's an accident cause by multiple devices using the account, and some of them setting up their own trash. I try to avoid that.

IMG_1794-2.png

Sometimes when you set up an account on an iPad it decides to make the Trash a local folder.

In your email account's advanced settings you'll find the option to change which folder is the trash. I like to make sure I'm using the same folders for trash, junk, drafts, and sent mail on all my devices. It makes it easier to find things later.

IMG_1796-2.jpeg

Most reactions