What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two different models of the 12.9-inch ‘iPad Pro’ could be launched in 2014 [Rumor]

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad_pro_upright_fake_mockup_hero_fixed.jpg

The iPad Air and the Retina display iPad Mini is here, so the rumor mill is now busy with chatter about the next iPad models. Most people are waiting for Apple to release another incremental update next year for the iPad Air, but it’s already unlikely that it would be called iPad 6. The second-generation iPad Mini was not called the iPad Mini 2 by Apple, and neither did the iPad Air.

Leaving marketing aside, it seems that the latest rumors suggest Cupertino is looking at the possibility of launching a 12.9 inch iPad, which some sources from the production line refer to as the “iPad Proâ€. This is not the first time we’re talking about these rumors, as we have previously covered a potential 12.9 inch Maxi iPad back in June, last year and even in July 2011.

Just like then, the latest rumors suggest that Apple could be looking at the iPad Pro as a potential weapon against netbooks. According to some Korean sources, we could see two iPad Pro launches, the iPad Pro with a 2K display could launch in April 2014 and the model sporting a 4K display will reportedly come in October 2014.

What do you think about the reiteration of these old rumors? More than two years have already passed since the first hearsay about a bigger sized iPad - do you think Apple could still launch such a device on the market?

Source: IBT

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, what about a 12.9-inch iPad makes it "Pro"? The higher resolution is certainly nice....but, I'm thinking I'd rather put personal money into a great monitor than into a larger iPad. I guess the main idea is that with this larger screen it will be easier to give presentations on the iPad where people are huddled up....like if you are showing real estate or products for sale. Would a digital artist really want a bigger iPad (Yes, I saw the Morgan Freeman video, but I just don't see why one would choose to use an iPad for art since there are even better "pro" tools for that).

This is sort of a no-win situation for Apple. I think this will be a niche product (but I admit it would be nice if they introduced a super high-resolution screen on this device because there are some special-purpose tasks that would benefit from it) as people will be saying there is nothing really new with this, but supporting a niche market can be important too, because those people are willing to pay top dollar (hence the term "Pro" I guess). No point in leaving money on the table. But yet another model of iPad? Must be too many products coming out of Apple....seems like complexity, which is the enemy to true innovation, which is what I'd really like to see. Oh, I see now...keep the bank account fat while the innovation, which is slow-cooking in the oven, creeps up on being done. :)

HowardBrazee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a musician, a larger iPad could be a professional tool. If it is as big as a sheet of music it could be a big help. Or put two together and include some external switch to keep caught up.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're going to need to bench press 300 lbs just to be able to use this sucker :D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For a musician, a larger iPad could be a professional tool. If it is as big as a sheet of music it could be a big help. Or put two together and include some external switch to keep caught up.

Agreed. I play clarinet in an ensemble and have tried to use my iPad for music. It didn't work too well as the image was too small. But putting an iPad on a stand is a bit problematic, I found. There may be other applications for musicians too where a larger iPad would be useful. Again, I see it as a niche thing, but from Apple's POV it might be worth it. Get enough different niche applications and you have a viable product.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want the big one lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Googling "iPad stands for musicians" shows lots of matches.

I was referring to a normal music stand. However, for the standard iPads, I find them to be too small for music display. Maybe that will change with a 12.9-inch iPad.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two different models of the 12.9-inch ‘iPad Pro’ could be launched in 2014 [R...

I want the big one lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk

I do too. And I'm ready!
unega4yj.jpg

Andrew
Source: Geekologie

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That would be fantastic for drawing, but as I've recently purchased the Air, I'm not sure I could justify buying another one. Never say never, however.

Most reactions

Latest posts