What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twitter

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I always use my iPad for Twitter, the app that is. Twice now I've been hacked and had to change my password. Is this a normal event? I change the details on my laptop. Ought I to delete the app and start again?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you get hacked? Does it happen when you are using the app?

Change your password using twitter in safari or a laptop.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
How do you get hacked? Does it happen when you are using the app?

Change your password using twitter in safari or a laptop.

I did change it on my laptop, and I've had to do it twice. I don't get how it happens. How can anyone guess a password unless they know you? The first time, people got messages I hadn't sent, and then today Twitter emailed me to ask me to change it because they said my account had been compromised.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
I did change it on my laptop, and I've had to do it twice. I don't get how it happens. How can anyone guess a password unless they know you? The first time, people got messages I hadn't sent, and then today Twitter emailed me to ask me to change it because they said my account had been compromised.

Have you clicked on any links while using the twitter app?

I'm not really an expert on twitter but with Facebook, someone's account is hacked when the account sends people messages or tag them in photos. The person didn't actually do this but the account did!

Change your password again to something difficult and try not to click on ant suspicious links as it may contain a virus.

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
Have you clicked on any links while using the twitter app?

I'm not really an expert on twitter but with Facebook, someone's account is hacked when the account sends people messages or tag them in photos. The person didn't actually do this but the account did!

Change your password again to something difficult and try not to click on ant suspicious links as it may contain a virus.

Well, I often click on links to see my favourite blogs or to read links from the irresistible Stephen Fry. Those are the main reasons I use Twitter.

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
Not to sure about this, but was it definitely Twitter that contacted you, the email you received didn't have a link that you had to click did it??

I examined it carefully and it looked kosher. It gave lots of info about being careful and all that. I didn't click on any links either time though. I went to my account to change the password. But I'm wondering how that works with the app. How does the app know I've changed my password?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
I examined it carefully and it looked kosher. It gave lots of info about being careful and all that. I didn't click on any links either time though. I went to my account to change the password. But I'm wondering how that works with the app. How does the app know I've changed my password?

If you change your password with safari and then launch the app, it will ask you to log in again, it's just the way it works.

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
If you change your password with safari and then launch the app, it will ask you to log in again, it's just the way it works.

Sorry to be dense, but do you mean I have to change it on my laptop via google, and also change it on Safari? Or just one or other? When I changed it on my laptop, I expected the app to ask me to log in again with my new password, but I just went straight in. So if that's how it is, fine. But still doesn't account for why I've been got at twice in such a short time. If it happens again, I shall tweet no more.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
Sorry to be dense, but do you mean I have to change it on my laptop via google, and also change it on Safari? Or just one or other? When I changed it on my laptop, I expected the app to ask me to log in again with my new password, but I just went straight in. So if that's how it is, fine. But still doesn't account for why I've been got at twice in such a short time. If it happens again, I shall tweet no more.

You only have to change it on one.

I would expect the app to ask you for the new password, the Facebook apps recognise when your password has changed and ask you to log in. I think twitter is just concerned for your security!

Hope the issue is resolved.

OP
Kathryn4812

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed my password again, because something strange happened in Safari. A twitter sign-in page had appeared, seemingly unsolicited, and I filled it in, but something unusual happened, which is way to complicated to explain here. But it didn't take me into the usual Twitter home.

Also, not once has the app asked me to fill in my new password, which seems odd to me. Consequently, I'm not using Twitter at all much, and when I do, I'm uneasy about clicking on links, which is a shame because that's where all the interest lies.

Most reactions

Latest posts