What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV and Video Output!?

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had brought up a similar question a few months back on this forum and my options were to say the least limited. However, with the new iPad2 I thought I would reentertain the question due to some of the improvements presented yesterday.

OK, so with the onset of the coming Major League Baseball season, I anticipate getting a subscription to MLB.com. That way I can watch my beloved Red Sox on my iPad when I am not around the big TV (i.e cooking dinner, working in the lab). So now that the iPad2 will have the capabilities of video mirroring and TV/Video output capabilities up to 1080p (w/ an Apple Digital AV adaptor or Apple VGA Adapter) could I then stream the games to the iPad, but then hook it up to my TV and watch the games on a bigger screen with the iPad2 providing the feed? This would be near HD, I think.

The main reason for this is that my cable company charges me about $185 for the baseball package, but MLB.com is only $99. MLB.com offers games in HD and the cable companies package is not.

Unfortunately, I am not a videophyle so I'm not 100% sure if this would work. But I think it might be enough to push me over the edge into purchasing an iPad2.

What do you guys think?

MSax

OP
M

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I would be streaming MLB.com from my iMac to the iPad2. Then I would hook up the iPad directly to the TV via the Apple cables and then watch the game that way.

Now that I'm thinking, it may be better to just hook the computer up directly to the TV, but they are quite far apart and a cable in that arrangement just may not work. So the iPad2 would be the intermediary.

MSax

OP
M

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My idea of a laptop is the iPad. :)

No I don't have one, but I think I will give it a try.

Thanks,
MSax

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My idea of a laptop is the iPad. :)

No I don't have one, but I think I will give it a try.

Thanks,
MSax

Same here, my ipad is my new n sole computing device now. I never use desktop or laptop anymore. Ipad has spoiled me. Im to use to nearly instant startups and apps opening. Plus my desktop is a dinosaur n took forever to startup or open a browser. Literally waiting too long just for a web page to open. Ipad does everything i need now. Ecen have my resume up here to email off to new job prospects ;-) thats productivity!

OP
M

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did contact MLB.com today and they said video out would not be supported by the iPad app when the season starts.

I think the work around to all of this is Apple's "video mirroring" concept. As Steve Jobs said in the presentation the other day, this works across all apps and whatever you see on the scree is what is displayed on your HDTV. So I don't see why you couldn't use this feature to display the MLB.com content.

I think the key is the video mirroring.

MSax

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did contact MLB.com today and they said video out would not be supported by the iPad app when the season starts.

I think the work around to all of this is Apple's "video mirroring" concept. As Steve Jobs said in the presentation the other day, this works across all apps and whatever you see on the scree is what is displayed on your HDTV. So I don't see why you couldn't use this feature to display the MLB.com content.

I think the key is the video mirroring.

MSax

Even if it doesnt work stock, u could always jailbreak n get displayout app from cydia, which wrks very well for me mirroring whatever is on ipad screen to t.v. N im using composite cables. Video n two audio along with usb for charging at the same time.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Demandarin is your picture really good?? mines a bit too 'colourful' if you understand what I mean...

its is being mirrored on a 32" LCD mind...

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Demandarin is your picture really good?? mines a bit too 'colourful' if you understand what I mean...

its is being mirrored on a 32" LCD mind...

Good question....as i hook it up to my huge old projection screen t.v. The colors arent as sharp as on ipad. Buts thats due to the older big screen plus it being projection. It still looks good though but if u want to read a webpage on it, u have to zoom it up for the words to be big enough and readable. As far as gaming and streaming movies with composite cable, it wrks fine. U could always adjust ur t.v. Settings display to account for whaypt u getting.
Now i also hooked it up to my old 19'in tube t.v. In the back and the clors n sharpness looks way better thn on my projection big screen t.v.(50 somethn in.) thats why i really want to get a New LED or plasma screen now. I figure the ipad would look great with it. U might want to get that new hdmi cable adapter thats coming out next week. Works on ipad1 also and does exact same thing display out does, but alot better.
Have u ever noticed screen shaking on movies or streams if u try to fullscreen the default resolution? Wrks fine on widescreen format but if u fullscreen it, it shakes sorta. So i have to go into display out settings and make the screen smaller so itll work fullscreen with no issues. Sometimes it doesnt do it though. Depends on whats going on on the screen. Thats new hdmi adapter is the way to go for newer t.v.'s. No longer need jailbroke displayout to do exact same thing.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely gonna get the hdmi connector, but it looks like it isn't going to mirror with the 1st gen iPad, but I'm sure our jailbreaking community will come up with an app for that!

The only problem I envision is the memory requirement, 1st gen iPad only has 256mb ram so maybe that's why the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 only support full mirroring, but then again it also says the iPod touch 3rd gen can support full mirroring, and that's only got 256mb so you never know...

For best results using displayout I change the ratio in settings to get it to fit the screen perfectly, I still have no use for it yet though lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely gonna get the hdmi connector, but it looks like it isn't going to mirror with the 1st gen iPad, but I'm sure our jailbreaking community will come up with an app for that!

The only problem I envision is the memory requirement, 1st gen iPad only has 256mb ram so maybe that's why the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 only support full mirroring, but then again it also says the iPod touch 3rd gen can support full mirroring, and that's only got 256mb so you never know...

For best results using displayout I change the ratio in settings to get it to fit the screen perfectly, I still have no use for it yet though lol

Its stated on apple website and apple store that the new HDMI conncector, due at the end of this week, is "Fully compatible" with 1st generation ipads. So it will mirror everything like the ipad2. Its not an ipad2 only feauture. The new cable enables it for both generations. Im not sure if u have to have ios 4.3 for it to wrk though. It didnt say that on apple site.
Actually, i just checked the site again. They slick. Its compatible with ipad1 for video out but mirroring IS only for ipad2. It was in very fine print in white lettering where u cant hardly see it..lol. Jailbreak will fix that though n still enable mirroring. Here is the link below to the product,
Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

TickleRunner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MLBtv video mirroring does NOT work via iPad 2. I have the iPad 2, the AV adapter, and it's hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI cable. It has something to do with the MLB tv iPad app ($15) that you have to purchase in order to view the games on your iPad. Only the sound goes through the TV, the video is blocked. As soon as you exit the MLB tv app, the mirroring works fine - even Netflix mirroring works fine. However, with the same MLBtv subscription I hooked up my laptop to the TV and was able to watch the game that way, so hopefully it is only a glitch on the MLBtv iPad app and will be fixed in the next update.

So basically don't get the iPad 2 expecting to hook it up to your HDTV to stream games. The games stream beautifully on the iPad 2, which is great, but you cannot mirror the games onto your TV.

If anyone has a workaround, please share. I've emailed MLB tv support but haven't heard back.

NickleRuth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally unrelated to the video out part, but be careful with MLB.TV. We wanted to get it for my brother for his birthday so he could watch the Reds. He lives in Northern KY. Because of contracts with Fox Sportsnet Ohio, he could not watch the games live only after the game was over. That totally defeated the purpose of having it instead of cable/dish. I don't know how it is in other areas for other teams.

Most reactions

Latest posts