What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Re-restore IOS 5.x on iPad2 and iPad3 using redsn0w and SHSH Blobs

chaoscreater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
so I have an ipad 2 recently updated to 6.0, and with this tutorial I was able to successfully go back into the 4.3.5 firmware.
However, I am now trying to 'upgrade' back to 5.1.1. I follow the steps again and I can see the processes loading 4.3.5 and when it is time to load the 5.1.1. it gives me the message 'Service would not start" and just leaves me hanging on the apple and loading bar screen on my ipad.

I am trying to update on a PC, and I am running the application as administrator. Anyone have ideas how I can go abouts updating form 4.3.5 to 5.1.1?
I have all the blobs saved on TinyUmbrella as well. (both the 4.3.5 and 5.1.1)

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Every time I use redsn0w to downgrade to iOS 4.3.5, it ALWAYS works. But whenever I tried to downgrade to 5.1.1, it always shows "Wouldn't start service". I followed everything on the 1st page and read through everyone's comments in all of the pages. My TinyUmbrella and host file etc are correct (otherwise I wouldn't have downgraded to iOS 4.3.5 using redsn0w). But somehow I just can't downgrade to 5.1.1, and YES I DO have the 5.1.1 shsh blobs saved. I tried both local and remote but still shows "Wouldn't start service"......

Oh and my iTunes is the latest v11.2.

NVM got it working!!!

I dunno what I did, but I think it's because I upgraded to the latest firmware (iOS 6.1.3 as of this writing) then trying the exact same method again. So ya, redsn0w downgrades to iOS 4.X (which is iOS 4.3.5 for me as that's the only one that has my saved shsh blobs), then upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 (again, with my saved shsh blobs) and somehow it went through perfectly without the "wouldn't start service" error.

Last edited:

upgrade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same problem! Every time I use redsn0w to downgrade to iOS 4.3.5, it ALWAYS works. But whenever I tried to downgrade to 5.1.1, it always shows "Wouldn't start service". I followed everything on the 1st page and read through everyone's comments in all of the pages. My TinyUmbrella and host file etc are correct (otherwise I wouldn't have downgraded to iOS 4.3.5 using redsn0w). But somehow I just can't downgrade to 5.1.1, and YES I DO have the 5.1.1 shsh blobs saved. I tried both local and remote but still shows "Wouldn't start service"......

Oh and my iTunes is the latest v11.2.

NVM got it working!!!

I dunno what I did, but I think it's because I upgraded to the latest firmware (iOS 6.1.3 as of this writing) then trying the exact same method again. So ya, redsn0w downgrades to iOS 4.X (which is iOS 4.3.5 for me as that's the only one that has my saved shsh blobs), then upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 (again, with my saved shsh blobs) and somehow it went through perfectly without the "wouldn't start service" error.

I've been struggling on this for a day now I cant get it to 5.1.1 or 6.0.1.. I have the same setup Ipad 2 - 4.3.5... I only can downgrade but can upgrade pass 4.3.5. I usually get an error message 3194 if I upgrade to 6.0.1.. When I upgrade to 6.1.3 and downgrade to 6.0.1 or 5.1.1 it gives me an error message. The only ipsw i can downgrade to is 4.x without error. Can you tell me exactly what you did? Did you use local or remote?

Haha NVM too I guess I figured it out.. I closed redsn0w and restarted under run as admin and it worked. Now, will this work with 6.0.1?

Last edited:

chaoscreater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been struggling on this for a day now I cant get it to 5.1.1 or 6.0.1.. I have the same setup Ipad 2 - 4.3.5... I only can downgrade but can upgrade pass 4.3.5. I usually get an error message 3194 if I upgrade to 6.0.1.. When I upgrade to 6.1.3 and downgrade to 6.0.1 or 5.1.1 it gives me an error message. The only ipsw i can downgrade to is 4.x without error. Can you tell me exactly what you did? Did you use local or remote?

Haha NVM too I guess I figured it out.. I closed redsn0w and restarted under run as admin and it worked. Now, will this work with 6.0.1?

Hey man, well first of all I didn't get a particular error number like your "3194" or whatever. I simply got the message "wouldn't start service", that's it. Secondly, I tried both local and remote, and already ran redsn0w as admin since the start. It just somehow worked after so many tries, dunno how I did it because I didn't change my method or anything else, I just kept trying the same procedures.

As for 6.0.1, I've tried that but there was a problem with aptickets, so I stayed on 5.1.1 in the end.

Broxin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As i see noone upgraded in the last time i have a Problem here :-(

i wanted to re-restore my iPad2 3G Wifi GSM from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1.

i have blobs (SHSHs) for 4.3.5 / 5.0.1 / 5.1.1

as i ran this tutorial readsn0w completed with an error 37. i disabled and uninstalled all AV and Firewall software and now it gets to a point where it says :
couldn't obtain fresh baseband blobs,it's probably no longer being signed.
baseband : ICE3_04.12.05_BOOT_02.13.RELEASE.bbfw

60cGUgU.png

now only one forum was a chinese one where they had the same problem (they updated the 3G iPad also in the last month)and said that with the ios 7.0.2 the iPad baseband changed and the old one is not signed anymore

should i stitch a 5.1.1 firmware with the newest baseband from the 7.0.2 firmware with the TinyCFW app and try the rerestore again ?

Damn !! i needed the ipad with a new nav app i wanted to buy for a trip tomorrow and now this poop...

i would loove if i would get some help before i update the baseband and make a mistake :-/

EDIT: i tried it on another clean laptop with a fresh installation of everything with out tinyumbrella installed ever in it (ofcourse also the newest itunes.)

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can try using TinyCFW to preserve the baseband then use the custom firmware made with RedSn0w. The idea of it would be almost identical to that of the iPhone 3G/3GS/4 and RedSn0w's baseband preservation.

If not, depending on which specific app you're referring to, you can modify the device check to work with 5.0.1 if it requires 5.1/5.1.1 and above, but that's assuming it's not calling on the later aspects of iOS 5.1+.

Broxin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm right now, tinycfw wont run on any win7 machine at my home :-(
well my iPad is in recovery mode because the rerestore failed. i cant use it, tried everything. installing 4.3.5 gets me the same error.

is this a error on my side or is this normal now for the 3G ipad2 and users have to wait for an update of redsn0w ?

can i just do this here :
How to downgrade your iPad2 3G from 5.1 to 4.x.x

Symptoms:

If for some reason you can't use tinycfw (your computer doesn't have enough memory etc) and you fail to create new custom firmware for 4.x.x with new BB signed by Apple, you can create it manually without tinycfw and it's very easy. This custom firmware can then be used to downgrade to 4.x.x via iTunes.
Note:

Your BB will be updated to 5.1's BB (4.12.01) that is currently signed by Apple. If you are already on 5.1 then normally you should already be on 4.12.01 BB.
Prerequisite:

• You must have saved 4.x.x shsh, latest version of tinyumbrella is recommended
  • You must have zipper/unzipper softwares to view/modify the firmware (.ipsw) files
  • You must have at least standard text editor software
  • You know how to put iPad2 into DFU mode
Solutions/Steps:

1. Download 5.1 stock firmware (.ipsw), it has 4.12.01 BB inside
  2. Download 4.x.x stock firmware
  3. Open the 4.x.x fw (from step 2) with standard unzipper softwares, replace all 3 ICE3* files inside "firmware" folder with the one from 5.1 stock firmware you downloaded (from step 1)
  4. Edit "BuildManifest.plist" in the root folder of 4.x.x firmware and replace all ICE3_XX.YY.ZZ_BOOT_yy.xx.Release.bbfw entries with ICE3_04.12.01_BOOT_02.13.Release.bbfw
  5. Launch TinyUmbrella, start TSS server and make sure it can find the 4.x.x shsh
  6. Connect your iPad2 3G, put into DFU mode then restore with iTunes using 4.x.x custom firmware you just made.
Enjoy your downgraded iPad...! :)

can i just put the new baseband into the 5.1.1 ipsw so redsn0w can do the update ?

as i understand it the redsn0w needs to ask apple for the actual baseband signing online, am i right ?

i dont want to upgrade the baseband if it will prevent me to do a jailbreak of my ipad2 in the future. but as it seems i cant restore it either right now :-(

also i found this here :-/
Wait! I got an error!
If you happened to receive an error, such as an iTunes 1013, this indicates you have a 3G device and your baseband is out of sync with the version you are trying to install. The baseband of the 3G iPads have blobs too, however these use stronger security techniques that the standard IOS SHSH Blobs, so they cannot be saved and replayed. If you run into trouble, post a reply details of which iPad you have, which firmware you were trying to restore from and to, and if you can also post the version of your baseband, which can be found by going to General > Settings > About, and scrolling to the bottom where the heading is "Modem Firmware".
And remember you must use at least 5.00.08 of TU!

i installed in the past the 5.1.1 but gone back to 5.0.1 for a long time. the re-restore worked fine then.
i have saved a info file with the "Identify" function of redsn0w from my ipad as it was on 5.0.1 where it says that i had a BaseBandVersion 04.12.05
which confuses me because this version was introduced by Apple first in IOS 6.1 that i NEVER installed :-/

EDIT:
i cant use the "Select IPSW" and "Custom IPSW" option in redsn0w because its not supported for ipad2 :-/
so even if i put in the newest baseband from the 7.0.4 i dont know if i can install it :-(

what do you experienced guys think i should do ?
will the new ICE3_04.12.09_BOOT_02.13.Release baseband from ios7.0.4 prevent redsnow from restoring the device into 5.1.1 ?
(if it will ever work to putting the new baseband into the 5.1.1 ipsw like mentioned above)

EDIT:
well... woow
After Apple stops signing the current BB, iPad2 3G GSM owners will start getting the 1013 error. At which point it cannot be kicked out of the recovery loop with TinyUmbrella because the limera1n exploit that fixrecovery uses does not work with the iPad2 3G.

is this true for redsn0w also ? so everyone with a 3G ipad2 now that tries re-restoring with this method here will be stuck with a nonworking ipad ?

EDIT:
Nice, as musclenerd tweeted on 26.09.2013 :
It goes without saying that if you're currently jailbroken, avoid 7.x.x. (Same if you're on iOS5 and use redsn0w's iOS5 re-restore feature)

so the re-restore feature is obsolete for ios 5.x.x on an ipad2 3g GSM as it seems...

have you guys any solution ?

you should include a warning in the guide on the first page

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should be able to downgrade

It does not. Re-restoring works on the iPad 2 and iPad 3 going from iOS 5.X to 5.X as stated in the original post. Only the iPad 2 can be downgraded to iOS 5.X because it uses iOS 4.X as a bridge. If the iPad 3 did have iOS 4.X developed for it (theoretically), then yes, you can downgrade back to iOS 5.X assuming you have blobs.

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had THE same problem and now I have the newest iOS . There is sth wrong with the baseband and the guide should be rewritten since I think some steps has change and it's very unclear what to do.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a long shot, but see if using TinyCFW to create a baseband preservation IPSW, then using that with RedSn0w works around the issue. I haven't kept up with the baseband changes on the iPad since iOS 5.1 and I haven't had the luxury to try it out on a data iPad :X

Broxin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a long shot, but see if using TinyCFW to create a baseband preservation IPSW, then using that with RedSn0w works around the issue. I haven't kept up with the baseband changes on the iPad since iOS 5.1 and I haven't had the luxury to try it out on a data iPad :X

this wont work either because:
1: if you want to flash a cfw to an ipad you need to use an old version of itunes and an old version of itunes does NOT
work with the newest version of the ios7.0 baseband firmware stitched to the ios 5.1.1.

there is NO way at the moment to downgrade, as the only app that is capable of doing it is redsn0w and it is NOT updated for the newest baseband. so only option is to wait.

oh and baseband PRESERVATION does not work on an ipad2 3g gsm. the baseband HAS to be upgraded to the newest version everytime you do a restore.

sad the thread creator does not reply or edit the main post with a warning...

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sad the thread creator does not reply or edit the main post with a warning...

This is an internet forum, and I'm sorry you feel the need to criticise the current accuracy of a post that I created over a year ago, and worked perfectly well for many months and for countless re-restores, and is still perfectly valid for non-cellular devices.

It isn't possible on a forum such as this to keep every post up to date with the latest information for every permutation of device and firmware in the market, but it was never anyones intention to ignore the fact that this guide is no longer valid for 3G devices, so a warning will be placed on the front page.

Broxin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry f4780y, wasnt my intention to critisize your work here, i got emotional about this issue.

dont wanted to get you angry, love this board here.

peace again please :)

Bye

santic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i tried the method but now i got an iPad 2 in a looped Recovery Mode. Here's what i've done:

I had a 4.3.3 wi-fi jailbroken iPad 2 and i wanted to update to iOS 5.x. I had blobs for version 4.3.5, 5.1.1 and some for iOS 6. The thing is in order to upgrade to iOS 5 i had to use a restore file and blobs of an iOS 4. So i tried to install 4.3.5, and sometimes it said that "Service wouldn't start". I got the chance to finish the installation once, but after that mi iPad keeps turning on in Recovery Mode and despite all my attempts to get it out of that state, it keeps doing that. Can anyone help me? the problem is that i cannot go back to 4.3.3 because i dont have the blobs-

Also i've tried to upgrade to iOS 5 via redsn0w but i couldn't do it

Please tell me i'm not f----- up

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restore to iOS 7 fresh, then downgrade. Assuming your iOS 5 blobs includes working APTickets, you can downgrade through the iOS 4.3.5 blobs to bridge.

Most reactions