TUTORIAL - Re-restore IOS 5.x on iPad2 and iPad3 using redsn0w and SHSH Blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides' started by f4780y, Oct 14, 2012.

1. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You must not do that. It will render your iPad2 stuck on iOS6 forever as things stand. You can only downgrade an iPad2 from IOS6 if you are in possession of 4.x blobs, which you are not.

Please can you provide a better, more detailed description, of the EXACT error message you get from redsn0w when you follow this tutorial. Are you sure you are following all the steps exactly?

2. xbiggyl

xbiggyl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey there,

Thank you for that tutorial.
    I just have a question. I read the post but couldn't figure out how to proceed in my current state.

My iPad 2 is jailbroken on 4.3.3 if I want to upgrade to 5.1.1 should I update to ios 6 then downgrade using my 4.3.3 blobs? but would my 4.3.3 blobs restore me to 5.1.1?
    On TinyUmbrella, I can see that I am able to save both 4.3.3 and 5.1.1 blobs. So I guess I have access to my 5.1.1 blobs.

Could you please instruct me on how to proceed in order to get to a jailbroken 5.1.1.

Cheers :)

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Given that you have blogs for both iOS 4.x and 5.1.1, you should be able to plug your iPad in and follow this tutorial to re- restore to iOS 5.1.1. Yes, you'll actually be upgrading, but it's still going to be the same process. The Dev Team blog states you can go "up, down or the same" in iOS version as long as you have the blobs.

So, let 'per rip! I would recommend a backup before you start, however. Just in case. :) Remember to shut down iTunes after you've done the backup...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

4. xbiggyl

xbiggyl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    First of all, thanks for your reply..

I've been trying for hours. It just doesn't want to work.
    When I follow the guide, it asks me for the IPSW, I choose 5.1.1 it asks me for 4.x IPSW I choose 4.3.5 (which btw is the version I'm on, in the previous post I said 4.3.3 by mistake).
    Then it asks me to point to my 4.3.5 blobs, I do it. It starts recovering to 4.3.5 (hacked) the first couple of times it gave me an error "Service Could not Be Started". A third time, it ran through the restore of 4.3.5, then it began the 5.1.1 restore and it gave me the same "Service Could Not Be Started".

Oh and one more thing, in TinyUmbrella, when I go to the advanced tab to uncheck "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" I cannot check/uncheck coz it is greyed out.

Any ideas?

#14 xbiggyl, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  5. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a PC issue and it sounds like you are not running things as an Administrator... Are you sure you are?

6. xbiggyl

xbiggyl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It worked!

I restored 4.3.5 using TU and iTunes
    When itunes asked me to setup my ipad I just closed it.
    restored using redsn0w and it worked..

Thanks folks
    :)

7. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear you got it working and are now restored! :D

8. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

9. vs4pro06

vs4pro06
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi I have been trying to restore to 5.1.1 for my ipad 2. Now i'm on 6.0. But everytime i tried using redsnow, it will give me a "service wouldn't start" error. I have 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 blobs. Does anyone know what's the problem?

EDIT : I managed to get it working after many tries! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

#19 vs4pro06, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  10. xbiggyl

xbiggyl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It took a few tries for me as well to get to work. Im not whether the fact that I didn't setup my ipad on iTunes (when it asks u if u want to setup a new ipad or restore from a backup) was what got it to work.

I too was getting "Service wouldn't start" at first, but then it worked.

Im running 5.1.1 and proud of it :D thanks to Mickey330! :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2