What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Re-restore IOS 5.x on iPad2 and iPad3 using redsn0w and SHSH Blobs

xbiggyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a PC issue and it sounds like you are not running things as an Administrator... Are you sure you are?

It worked!

I restored 4.3.5 using TU and iTunes
When itunes asked me to setup my ipad I just closed it.
restored using redsn0w and it worked..

Thanks folks
:)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It worked!

I restored 4.3.5 using TU and iTunes
When itunes asked me to setup my ipad I just closed it.
restored using redsn0w and it worked..

Thanks folks
:)

Glad to hear you got it working and are now restored! :D

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

vs4pro06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have been trying to restore to 5.1.1 for my ipad 2. Now i'm on 6.0. But everytime i tried using redsnow, it will give me a "service wouldn't start" error. I have 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 blobs. Does anyone know what's the problem?

EDIT : I managed to get it working after many tries! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Last edited:

xbiggyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have been trying to restore to 5.1.1 for my ipad 2. Now i'm on 6.0. But everytime i tried using redsnow, it will give me a "service wouldn't start" error. I have 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 blobs. Does anyone know what's the problem?

EDIT : I managed to get it working after many tries! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

It took a few tries for me as well to get to work. Im not whether the fact that I didn't setup my ipad on iTunes (when it asks u if u want to setup a new ipad or restore from a backup) was what got it to work.

I too was getting "Service wouldn't start" at first, but then it worked.

Im running 5.1.1 and proud of it :D thanks to Mickey330! :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JCJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took a few tries for me as well to get to work. Im not whether the fact that I didn't setup my ipad on iTunes (when it asks u if u want to setup a new ipad or restore from a backup) was what got it to work.

I too was getting "Service wouldn't start" at first, but then it worked.

Im running 5.1.1 and proud of it :D thanks to Mickey330! :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
I'm getting that very same error, I retried so many times, upgrading back to 6.0 and downgrading again. Service Wouldn't start after restoring to 4.3.5
Did you press Set up as new iPad? Then what? Sync apps or nothing?

Bgmnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Failed! Here's my story...
Have an iPad 2 CDMA 5.1.1 with saved blobs for 5.0.1 & 5.1.1
Followed steps as stated, clicked remote blobs since I knew both blobs are on cydia. I've been JB on 5.0.1 & 5.1.1
Every picture in the steps in the post one appeared on my device, all the way to "Verifying Restore", then it says "updating baseband" then failed! (I don't remember what the error said, it was simple, although I can't get this error again!)
I tried again, except now it says "the firmware on the device cannot be determined. Do you want to proceed as if some version of 5.x is installed on the device?", I click "yes" (when I click "no" it says I need a 4.x blob)
Then it says "Is it specifically 5.1.1?" I click "yes" because that's what's on there or at least was on there. Then the process begins again making it all the way to the "updating baseband" part.
I also know for fact that the 5.1.1 FW was installed fresh via itunes before jailbreaking 5.1.1.

This is nerve racking. I don't normally post my problems, I just figure them out. This time I'm pretty sure my firmware is erased and I'm stuck in an Apple logo loop when Im not on the "connect to itunes" screen. Exiting the recovery mode just kicks the logo loop into play. Redsnow STILL READS my device though. I don't know what question to ask the forum but any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm no noob, but NOT an expert either.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Failed! Here's my story...
Have an iPad 2 CDMA 5.1.1 with saved blobs for 5.0.1 & 5.1.1
Followed steps as stated, clicked remote blobs since I knew both blobs are on cydia. I've been JB on 5.0.1 & 5.1.1
Every picture in the steps in the post one appeared on my device, all the way to "Verifying Restore", then it says "updating baseband" then failed! (I don't remember what the error said, it was simple, although I can't get this error again!)
I tried again, except now it says "the firmware on the device cannot be determined. Do you want to proceed as if some version of 5.x is installed on the device?", I click "yes" (when I click "no" it says I need a 4.x blob)
Then it says "Is it specifically 5.1.1?" I click "yes" because that's what's on there or at least was on there. Then the process begins again making it all the way to the "updating baseband" part.
I also know for fact that the 5.1.1 FW was installed fresh via itunes before jailbreaking 5.1.1.

This is nerve racking. I don't normally post my problems, I just figure them out. This time I'm pretty sure my firmware is erased and I'm stuck in an Apple logo loop when Im not on the "connect to itunes" screen. Exiting the recovery mode just kicks the logo loop into play. Redsnow STILL READS my device though. I don't know what question to ask the forum but any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm no noob, but NOT an expert either.

Sounds like you hosts file is not pointing to Apple, possibly becasue you used TinyUmbrella but did not set all the options correctly before exiting?
The Baseband must still get signature authorisation from Apple to be updated, hence the reason it will fail if you are pointing to Cydia.

To make sure your hosts file is pointing back to Apple, follow this process:

• Download the latest version of TinyUmbrella from here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
  • Once downloaded, start the TU program
  • Switch to the "Advanced" tab
  • UNTICK the option which says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit"
  • Close TinyUmbrella.

Alternatively, if you know what the "hosts" file is and how to edit it manually (typically it is a hidden system file and you must use Admin / root access to edit it), remove ALL references to gs.apple.com from the file and save it...

• On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • On OSX the hosts file lives in /private/etc/hosts

Then follow the tutorial again. You were doing the right steps (Yes, it is 5.x and Yes, it is 5.1.1 specifically). The baseband install will be a success if you correct the issue above.

Also, we appreciate issues like this are frustrating, but please only post a problem once as per the forum rules. It makes it easier to ensure you get a good response, and folks don't waste time on issues which are already answered elsewhere. I will delete your other duplicate thread.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

jor412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an iPad 3 on 5.1 (9B176). I plan on upgrading to 5.1.1 and then jailbreaking it. I just downloaded Tiny Umbrella and saved my blobs. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing the right thing.

The "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" box was grayed out to begin with. I edited the hosts file following the instructions above. Did I do the right thing? Am I supposed to now save my blobs again?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should not need to use Tiny Umbrella to save your blobs for this tutorial. redsn0w will happily retrieve them from Cydia, but to be clear they MUST already have been saved many months ago when 5.1.1 was being signed. You can't save them now. All you can do is transfer them from Cydia to your PC if you want to (but it is not necessary for this tutorial).

Just follow the tutorial and at step 7 press "Remote". If your blobs are saved on Cydia they will be retrieved and used.

jor412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a bit lost here. The last jailbreaking I did was on an iPhone 3G and this whole blobs thing is new to me. I just bought my iPad 3 two weeks ago. I'd like to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then do a jailbreak. This tutorial is the closest thing I've found to being able to do that. Anyway, I have no idea how to get or save my blobs, so I used Tiny Umbrella. The latest version said that Cydia isn't able to reliably retrieve blobs anymore.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a bit lost here. The last jailbreaking I did was on an iPhone 3G and this whole blobs thing is new to me. I just bought my iPad 3 two weeks ago. I'd like to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then do a jailbreak. This tutorial is the closest thing I've found to being able to do that. Anyway, I have no idea how to get or save my blobs, so I used Tiny Umbrella. The latest version said that Cydia isn't able to reliably retrieve blobs anymore.

No problem, you might like to read our FAQ here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

But, the short answer is, you are not entitled to any blobs except those for IOS 6.0 which are the blobs Apple are currently providing. You cannot save older blobs. You must get them at the time Apple are providing them and save them away for future use. You can't get them retrospectively. There is no way round the system. You can't even get your 5.1 blobs off your iPad3. The only thing you can get is 6.0 today.

So you unfortunately given your scenario, you are stuck on 5.1 or you can upgrade to 6.0, neither of which have a current jailbreak. So, your best advice is probably to get up to IOS 6.0 and wait for the next jailbreak. You can check the status of it here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/89458-official-ios6-jailbreak-status-thread.html
It will likely be many weeks, maybe even a few months before a 6.x jailbreak is released for the iPad though :(

Oh, and just for the record, both TinyUmbrella and Cydia are both reliable. They just can't break the rules of what is possible. i.e., they can't get blobs that were not saved at the right time in the past.

jor412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y, thanks. I get it now. And thanks as well for the link. I guess I'm stuck for now then.

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if an iPad 3 was last updated OTA? It is on 5.1.1 and I have blobs, but do not know how it was updated.

What happens if it was done OTA and I try this procedure? Will I get stuck having to go to 6, or will it just fail and I can stay on unrestored 5.1.1?

Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if an iPad 3 was last updated OTA? It is on 5.1.1 and I have blobs, but do not know how it was updated.

What happens if it was done OTA and I try this procedure? Will I get stuck having to go to 6, or will it just fail and I can stay on unrestored 5.1.1?

Thanks!

AFAIK - there is no way to tell how your iPad was updated (if you don't remember or if someone else did it).

According to the redsn0w developers, the re-restore will fail very early in the process if your blobs are from a factory or OTA iOS. But, you can easily back out of the re-restore process. It won't make you go to iOS 6 - you'll just have to back out of the program and be back where you started.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts