What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak with Pwnagetool for Mac

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
First you will need to download Pwnagetool 4.3.dmg from HERE
And iPad 1.1, 4.3.1 firmware from HERE

Once that’s done create a new folder on your desktop and name it “pwnageâ€.
Double click the pwnagefile you just downloaded and drag the icon from the installer over to the desktop folder you just created.

You should now have this

savefolder.jpg

Double click Pwnagetool and click OK to accept the release form.

expertsett.jpg

Click Expert settings and the iPad, then the blue arrow on the lower right to continue.

pickFW.jpg

Click “Browse for IPSW†and locate the ipad firmware file you downloaded earlier in your “pwnage†folder. Click Open.

build.jpg

saveto.jpg

Unless you know what you are doing just click build and a “Save to†window will open, Save in the “pwnage†folder.

doings.jpg

Pwnagetool is now building your new firmware.

askforadmin.jpg

At one point, about 2 minutes in, it will ask for your administrator password, (if you have one set for your computer),enter it, and kiss your children goodnight…

Kick back and don’t touch anything for about ten minutes (or until it’s done, depending on what kind of super computer you have.)

Now, on to the DFU tutorial…

In order to properly pwn your device you will need to put your iPad in DFU mode via pwnage tool, (there is a “standard†way of doing this too, it won’t work. I will explain this in an advanced pwnage tread)

DFU=Device Firmware Upgrade

1.jpg

Right after pwnagetool is done creating your firmware it will ask you to connect your device to pwn it (it will show an iphone, but means your ipad)

Once you connect your ipad it will start counting down for you to get ready, its pretty self-explanatory.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Most important is that the timing has to be exactly right; it’s not crucial to get it right the first time. It will tell you that you failed and you can just try it again, no worries..

sucess.jpg

Once you get it right you can quit pwnagetool and open iTunes which will tell you that you have your device in recovery mode and need to restore.

iPad-DFU.png

Hold down Option and click Restore, find your new firmware file in your "pwnage" folder and click OK.

OPTCLICKItunes.jpg

Let your ipad restore and reboot. Done! Youre Pwned and jailbroken!

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is a very detailed instruction on how to jb.

Just one question, why do you use pwnagetools? It seems to be the only jailbreak which requires you to restore your device. Considering redsn0w and sn0wbreeze jb the device while keeping all data and thus don't require a restore, isn't it an unnecessary hassle to setup the iPad from scratch?

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I always felt that you get a cleaner jailbreak with less problems. Plus it allows for custom packages..

But hey, each to their own!

Also, Snowbreeze is for PC, Pwnagetool is for Mac...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a very detailed instruction on how to jb.

Just one question, why do you use pwnagetools? It seems to be the only jailbreak which requires you to restore your device. Considering redsn0w and sn0wbreeze jb the device while keeping all data and thus don't require a restore, isn't it an unnecessary hassle to setup the iPad from scratch?

So ~ why do people use three different ways to JB? Does one give you more than the other? Which is the easiest?

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Theyre all easy... :) just read our fancy new tutorials!

Nah...the thing with pwnagetool is once you pwn you can always restore to an already jailbroken firmware file if you should need to.

Where as Redsnow patches an already existing firmware file.

Some prefer Redsnow, some prefer Pwnage! Try em both! :)

Last edited:

Logi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I am new on this forum and just JB my iPad 1. but what next where do I find that Cydia app? Everything goes fine with the JB but I can't see any changes in my iPad 1?
What am i missing here?

Last edited:

Millertv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Logi said:
Hello I am new on this forum and just JB my iPad 1. but what next where do I find that Cydia app? Everything goes fine with the JB but I can't see any changes in my iPad 1?
What am i missing here?

Well first do you see Cydia installed?

androgilicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to active the custom_restore and it says Apple does not allow me to restore this custome restore file created with Pwnage tool. What do I do now?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
androgilicious said:
I'm trying to active the custom_restore and it says Apple does not allow me to restore this custome restore file created with Pwnage tool. What do I do now?

It sounds like you have not put your device into pwnd DFU mode successfully. You can only restore a custom firmware in pwnd mode. Try the last few steps in the tutorial again. Also, what version of iOS are you JBing?

Last edited:

Jmaconsultants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the same problem. Went the the very detailed step by step......expert mode it appeared everthing worked .....until the restore

I held the option key down the window popped up to restore using the successfully pwnd file from the desktop and the restore appeared to happen in the itunes pane. Then the warning pop up appeared unable to rebuild...etc
Any help?
4.3.3 ipad1. Firmware downloaded from website.
Much appreciated

Most reactions