What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm finally there and thought I should add a couple of points that I stalled on, in case they help any other newbies like myself.

1/ when taking the option to reset/erase all files and settings ready for a jailbreak, the iPad will give the option to restore as a new device or from a back-up. You obviously want to restore as a new device, but you should also be aware that when this is done that you will need to connect the iPad to the PC/mac/main itunes 'host' machine and also restore it as a new device in iTunes on there.

2/ for some reason, when I reconnected the iPad to my 'iTunes host' machine immediately after the reset/erase, it was not recognised by iTunes or Windows. I had to disable my antivirus (avast) and also restart the Apple mobile device service in order for it to be recognised by itunes. I had not had to do this for the iPad to be recognised at any point prior to that. And when I restored the iPad to a backup following a successful jailbreak it was again recognised by Windows and iTunes as before.

3/ Absinthe would NOT recognise the iPad until i had restored it as a new device in itunes on my 'iTunes host machine'. Even though it was recognised in iTunes. I HAD to restore the iPad as a new device into iTunes before absinthe would register it.

It took me an hour or so to get around these little foibles, but once i had absinthe proceeded to jailbreak with no further intervention from myself. Now it's time for me to do some research on CYDIA and any backup/protection measures I should take on my freshly jailbroken iPad!

Most reactions