What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak iPad1 with redsn0w for Windows

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jsherk said:
Great tutorial! Just jailbroke my iPad 1 16gb wifi (Win XP Pro & iOS v4.3.2) in about 10 minutes ... longest part was downloading the firmware from apple! It did however take me three tries to get it into DFU mode, but that was because I did not read the instructions carefully enough the first two times!

I have already installed OpenSSH and can connect to iPad over wifi using both WinSCP for ftp and using PuTTY for shell access. That's great!

I did however choose the Allow Boot Animation but when I go to settings I am not seeing the option to change it! Am I just missing it?

Thanks

Glad to hear you got it. Install "animate" from Cydia to enable the animations in settings. Try "animate apple" for iPad as a boot logo...

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just assumed (never assume) that it would be installed from redsn0w if selected, but maybe it's not working!

Anyways I installed "animate" and then "animate apple" and it's now working thanks!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just assumed (never assume) that it would be installed from redsn0w if selected, but maybe it's not working!

Anyways I installed "animate" and then "animate apple" and it's now working thanks!

No, it's working as it's supposed to. Just an extra step. If you don't tick the box it doesn't matter if you install animate or not, it will never show, and the animate program is not iphone dev-team's to distribute hence the reason it is not in the jailbreak. It was developed by chronic dev-team for greenpois0n.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, ok! I guess that could be made clearer in the tutorial. But that issue aside the tutorial was easy to follow!

Thanks to all those involved in jailbreaking iPad, helping in forums and writing tutorials and apps!

KyoZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
holy poop!

I am a total newbhead with cracking/jbing and this took me literally 10 minutes...the hardest part for me was finding the stinking ipsw (because I am braindead and was using the wrong folder!)

I love you guys

one quick question...the animate app in cydia says it is only for 4.2.1...is

-Kyo

Last edited:

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 4.3.2 and the Animate Apple works fine. I also like the Lightning one as well.

Slar676

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a newby at jbing my Ipad 1. I downloded the firmware from Apple but when extracted can not find the ipsw file. Any help?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe this will help clarify it for you...

You download these files to your PC not your iPad:

Download redsn0w & save to your Windows PC. You will then extract the file into a folder and then run .exe file that is in the folder (there will NOT be an ipsw file in this folder).

But before you run the .exe file, you need to download appropriate apple firmware & save to your Windows PC as well. Make sure you just save it to your desktop (or somewhere you will remember)... do not open the file, do not run the file, do not try to extract the file... just leave it as an .IPSW file (when it gets downloaded it is already ipsw). When you run redsn0w, it will ask you where the firmware file is, and then you point to this ipsw file.

Now go back to the very top of this thread and re-read the instructions VERY CAREFULLY. The links you need are in the first section titled JAILBREAK PREPARATION.

Hope this helps.

Slar676

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But when I download the firmware file the pc changes the file type from .ipsw to a .zip file. I am downloading from the apple.com site under win 7. Do I manually change the file type to ipsw even though it lands on my pc as a zip file?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Win XP and have never used Win 7, so I cannot say why it would change a filename extension on download ... that seems strange to me because it should NOT do that. You must be downloading an actual zip file which means it's the wrong file... You said you downloaded it from the apple.com site? Then that is your problem!

Go back to the top of this thread again, and read it carefully again... there is a link for downloading the ipsw files and that link is NOT to the apple.com site. The ipsw files are on this forum in another thread, not on the apple site.

Post back with results!

EDIT: Correction... the links are in this forum but they DO link to appldnld.apple.com ... just make sure you use those links. You could then try changing the extension back to ipsw from zip ... redsn0w will let you know if there is a problem with the file or not!

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slar676 said:
But when I download the firmware file the pc changes the file type from .ipsw to a .zip file. I am downloading from the apple.com site under win 7. Do I manually change the file type to ipsw even though it lands on my pc as a zip file?

Your PC is being naughty. Just rename it back to ipsw. Never unzip it.

Slar676

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck renaming file. Windows still thinks it is a zip file. I downloaded Firefox, started it and downloaded the firmware files under Firefox. No problem...so it must be that IE running under Windows 7 is the culprit. Off now to JB.

David Parker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
problem

Hello. Thanks for this tutorial. I have an ipad1 with iOS 4.3. I followed all the steps and everything seemed to go as you explained including the pineapple screen then lots of text rolling down the ipad screen. Then the ipad booted up but when it started the cydia app was on the second of my home screens (not on the bottom row with Safari, Mail etc). The app had the title Cydia under it but the app image is just a blank grey colour. When I tried to launch cydia the screen went blank temporarily then returned to the home screen. Also Safari crashed on startup. Not very nice. So I updated to iOS 4.3.3 which put everything back to normal.

Last edited:

Most reactions