What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak iPad1 on IOS5 using redsn0w

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shihid said:
I got iPad one , iOS 5.0.1 and red snow beta 3 .....do I need ISPW?

No. I've updated the wording to make it clearer.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just have to say this, f4780y:

I really appreciate you (1) creating these tutorials and (2) keeping them up-to-date with the latest and greatest news. I use them all the time and also direct a lot of people to them.

These tutorials are a tremendous asset to this forum and so, sir, are you!

Thanks from a grateful jailbreaker!

Marilyn

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Wow this is great. I'm a newbie when it comes to jailbreaking (although I was a hacker before there were computers). I have an iPad1 that I was going to sell and I will keep the iPad2 stock, but I am elated to see these detailed instructions on JBing the iPad1 - a better deal than selling it for now!

One question: I did a factory restore in prep for selling the iPad1. Do I need to set it up normally before running redsn0w? Or can I run redsn0w right "out of the box"?

Thanks folks

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nnelgorellabac said:
Is it necessary to have an internet connection when doing JB??

It depends. Redsn0w may need to download files depending on your setup. Best to have one if possible.
To do it without, you need to have the firmware downloaded and point redsn0w to the firmware using the "Extras" menu.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
slothead said:
One question: I did a factory restore in prep for selling the iPad1. Do I need to set it up normally before running redsn0w? Or can I run redsn0w right "out of the box"?

Thanks folks

On IOS5, you should configure it first by completing the setup assistant. Then you can JB.

nnelgorellabac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
It depends. Redsn0w may need to download files depending on your setup. Best to have one if possible.
To do it without, you need to have the firmware downloaded and point redsn0w to the firmware using the "Extras" menu.

I have already downloaded the redsnow 0.9.10b3, where should I install it? In my iPad1 or in my laptop? If in my iPad1, how can i install it?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have already downloaded the redsnow 0.9.10b3, where should I install it? In my iPad1 or in my laptop? If in my iPad1, how can i install it?

You don't "install" redsn0w. You simply unzip the package and run it on your PC.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Thanks F-Boy! I'm jailbroken and it seems to be working like a charm (piece of pie, easy as cake). Now I just need to figure out what to do with it! :D

I'm assuming that never again will I be connecting to iTunes for a Sync - is that correct? And will it run any of the iTunes App Store applications ever again? / Can I still buy apps form the iTunes App Store?

Obviously there is a myriad of stuff I need to learn about Cydia and the JB'ed iPad. Where is the best place to learn this stuff (if not right here in the iPad Hacking forum)?

THanks again Bro!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks F-Boy! I'm jailbroken and it seems to be working like a charm (piece of pie, easy as cake). Now I just need to figure out what to do with it! :D

I'm assuming that never again will I be connecting to iTunes for a Sync - is that correct? And will it run any of the iTunes App Store applications ever again? / Can I still buy apps form the iTunes App Store?

Obviously there is a myriad of stuff I need to learn about Cydia and the JB'ed iPad. Where is the best place to learn this stuff (if not right here in the iPad Hacking forum)?

THanks again Bro!

All the information you need should be in the hacking section. Please take time to read the stickies in the various forums.

Also, jailbreaking does not prevent you from doing anything you normally do, otherwise we would not do it. You use iTunes and the App Store as normal. You just have the opportunity to enhance the device through the tweaks and apps available via Cydia.

Most reactions

Latest posts