What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE 2= just to let you know before I get another cable this is crazy...... when I connect ipad with this cable it recognises the actual serial number but still gives the same results in diagnostics, saying "no ipad found"-

2015-07-02_230023.png
2015-07-02_230036.png

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad is in recovery mode. Maybe that's why the computer shows it's serial number, but doesn't detect it otherwise.

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad is in recovery mode. Maybe that's why the computer shows it's serial number, but doesn't detect it otherwise.

oh ok, so please would you advise me on what to do next....

is it because when I hit the "update iTunes" button in iTunes and get the "iTunes cannot update because it cannot connect to severs" ??

if iTunes is up to date should I receive a different message? if so then should I be trying something else?

is there a way to force the firmware install without using iTunes?

or should I be trying to get the ipad "found" (detected) in diagnostics? maybe new cable?

sorry for all the questions only really want to get this sorted, I really appreciate your help.

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score

MAYBE??? I thought you knew what you was talking about...
heres a bit of knowledge for YOU .

if you got the latest version of iTunes installed then this is the message you get =

2015-07-03_131248.png

everything you advised me is already on the iTunes support page.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
MAYBE??? I thought you knew what you was talking about...
heres a bit of knowledge for YOU .

if you got the latest version of iTunes installed then this is the message you get =

View attachment 65955

everything you advised me is already on the iTunes support page.

Keep in mind that no one here is an Apple engineer. No one is getting paid. We're just iPad users with various amounts of knowledge. All we have to work with are the same sources available to the general public, and our shared experiences.

We're here to help each other, but all we can do is our best. Not every problem will find a solution here. Not every question will get answered. At some point you may have to seek professional help, even if it costs money.

Not sure if you're there yet, but it's getting close.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont have shsh file how can recover it ?
SHSH blobs can only be saved when the iOS version they're connected to is being signed. If you didn't save them then there's no way to get them after the fact. With that being said, blobs have had no useful purpose for the last several years.

faji20002000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please i need advice on how to proceed

i am new to ios devices this being my first, i got an ipad2 with ios 5.0.1 and jailbroken. i want to upgrade to the latest OS.
Please what should i do, can i just install 8.3 to it. i read somewhere i have to install 6.0 first

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
please i need advice on how to proceed

i am new to ios devices this being my first, i got an ipad2 with ios 5.0.1 and jailbroken. i want to upgrade to the latest OS.
Please what should i do, can i just install 8.3 to it. i read somewhere i have to install 6.0 first
The only software you'll be able to install, is the latest one, iOS 8.4. It's not possible to update to a different version, sorry!

To update your iPad, use iTunes on your computer. Make sure iTunes is up to date.

Connect your device to the computer. As soon as iTunes shows your iPad, select it. In Summary, click "Check for update". Then select "Download and update".

If there are problems with updating, use the method described in the first post of this thread.

Hope that helps.

faji20002000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only software you'll be able to install, is the latest one, iOS 8.4. It's not possible to update to a different version, sorry!

To update your iPad, use iTunes on your computer. Make sure iTunes is up to date.

Connect your device to the computer. As soon as iTunes shows your iPad, select it. In Summary, click "Check for update". Then select "Download and update".

If there are problems with updating, use the method described in the first post of this thread.

Hope that helps.

thanks, the download speed is very slow using itunes, i was able to download the .ipsw file, but it was the version 8.0 i downloaded. can i install it . downloading using itunes is very slow

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks, the download speed is very slow using itunes, i was able to download the .ipsw file, but it was the version 8.0 i downloaded. can i install it . downloading using itunes is very slow
You can't install 8.0. The only software you'll be able to download is 8.4, as told in my post above. If you try to install a different version, you'll get an iTunes error when it comes to verifying the software, because iTunes will contact Apple servers online to make sure you install the right iOS.

faji20002000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't install 8.0. The only software you'll be able to download is 8.4, as told in my post above. If you try to install a different version, you'll get an iTunes error when it comes to verifying the software, because iTunes will contact Apple servers online to make sure you install the right iOS.

Thanks really grateful with the help. hope you remembered it is jailbroken. i don't want a problem where i have a dead ipad2.
thanks for the help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks really grateful with the help. hope you remembered it is jailbroken. i don't want a problem where i have a dead ipad2.
thanks for the help
Trust me:
I didn't forget that it's jailbroken. 8.4 is the only option you have.

Last edited:

Most reactions