What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

mollayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have. I try a different port everytime I get error 9. But the error still pops up

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell us - in extreme detail - exactly what you're doing. Please provide a step-by-step description of what's happening. As you write the steps out, please tell us what you do if any pop-up occurs. And yes, over-simplification of your steps, such as "I plugged the iPad in and opened iTunes" may help. So, please be very detailed.

Sorry to ask this, but diagnosing over the Internet is so hard; seeing in person is always best. Hmmm. Could you take a video (with a separate device) of you doing the process? If not, then the step-by-step will hopefully help.

I know, annoying as heck - but we're out of ideas and suggestions ... and now trying to save you a two hour drive.

Thanks.

Marilyn

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please can someone help me....I have an ipad 2 model no A1396 which I am trying to restore with the GSM 8.1.2 ipsw firmware on a win 7 machine. but I keep getting the 3194 error.... I have uninstalled antivirus turned off windows defender and disabled firewall.. also never messed with the host file, here it is just to confirm-

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

I have also restarted virgin media hub and have Ethernet cable direct to pc.

I received the ipad from ebay and only showed the "connect to iTunes" display.. but then it only gave me error 40 when trying through iTunes only restore. please can someone confirm I am using the correct firmware for starters and anything else I could try...much appreciated. thanks in advance.

p.s I have installed tinyumbreela just to confirm with the tutorial but I have no "advanced" tab ??? heres a screen shot--

umbrella.png

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't install a previous version on your iPad, that's why you get error 3194.
The only software you'll be able to install is 8.3 or 8.4. Everything else won't work.

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't install a previous version on your iPad, that's why you get error 3194.
The only software you'll be able to install is 8.3 or 8.4. Everything else won't work.

thank you soooo much but please where can I get 8.3 or 8.4?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to download it. When you connect your iPad to iTunes and restore it, or use recovery mode (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263), 8.4 will be installed automatically on your device.

If you want to use the method described in this thread, and install 8.3, here's a site with links to the firmware: http://www.iphonehacks.com/download-ipad-ios-firmware
Just make sure you select the right one, or else you'll get error 3194 again.

thanks J. A. for your help I managed to to get the 8.4 ispw but now I get error (40) please can you advise.
I think it may have been jailbroken before I got it. does the screen shot from tinyumbrella give you any clues?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks J. A. for your help I managed to to get the 8.4 ispw but now I get error (40) please can you advise.
I think it may have been jailbroken before I got it.
Error 40 means that there could be a hardware issue with either computer or iPad.

Here are the instructions from Apple Support for your problem:

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 40 means that there could be a hardware issue with either computer or iPad.

Here are the instructions from Apple Support for your problem:

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Thanks again for the help...all security uninstalled and disabled..
tried multible times...
seem as though communicating ok as it fires up iTunes and extracts firmware and gets as far as preparing to install...
apple wants £25 just to chat with them...

so prob an hardware issue yeah?? any other options? how about a reflow of the main board?

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try the instructions in the first post of this thread?

yes, but just tried iTunes diagnostics and got this-

2015-07-02_211436.png

then tried to update iTunes to be sure and got this-
2015-07-02_211454.png

does this mean I am not connecting to iTunes properly???

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, but just tried iTunes diagnostics and got this-

View attachment 65935

then tried to update iTunes to be sure and got this- View attachment 65936

does this mean I am not connecting to iTunes properly???
Your computer doesn't allow iTunes to connect to Apple servers. That's also the reason for your problem with installing software on your iPad. During the process, iTunes needs to connect to Apple servers to verify the software version.
You'll have to find out what's preventing the connection.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to any firewalls you've installed on your computer, Windows has its own built in firewall. It is turned off as well as all the other firewalls and anti-virus on your computer?

moses55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2015-07-02_211454.png
In addition to any firewalls you've installed on your computer, Windows has its own built in firewall. It is turned off as well as all the other firewalls and anti-virus on your computer?

yes wiondows firewall is off, antivirus uninstalled, windows defender turned off. I have no secondary firewall installed.
sorry to be a pain but does any of these screen shots give you any ideas???----

2015-07-02_223423.png
2015-07-02_223435.png
2015-07-02_223456.png

these images where taken whilst ipad was connected to pc..and ipad is showing in iTunes as needing update/restore.
ipad gets as far as the apple logo with progress bar underneath then few seconds later reports error (40).

UPDATE= I just ran diagnostics again with ipad cable disconnected and I had excactly the same results.......maybe the actual cable I am using????? will try a different cable tomorrow and report back. thanks again.

Last edited:

Most reactions