What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to thank you "f4780y" for the excellent tut (first page) on restoring Ipad.
I have a Ipad 1 bought recently second hand and had to connect to Itunes to set it up all went OK and after installing some tutorial movies for ableton live and a lot of music on another computer not connected to Internet.
I went back to the internet computer where I originally set it up in Itunes and Itunes would not recognise it and said I had to restore factory settings. so went through that procedure 6 times and would not restore giving 1604 as error.
so went looking for help and found you.
After reading the first page tut and downloading 5.1.1 which I used to try again to restore, no joy.
error message this time 1601.
so went to a faster computer using same cable and installed itunes and transferred the download 5.1.1 and this time it all went smoothly.
apart from loosing everything I had installed orginally (Yuk) I am very happy
thankyou "f4780y" and regards from,

Mike.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
160X errors are driver/software based issues. They only really (if only) occur on Windows computers. There are a few ways to solve this issue

1. Uninstall your USB drivers, and reboot your PC. Retry.

2. Uninstall your USB drivers and iTunes, reboot, reinstall iTunes, retry.

3. Use a different computer.

4. (Failsafe) Create a new user/profile on your computer, and restore

Make sure you have administrative access/rights or you probably won't be able to uninstall the drivers/iTunes and/or you probably can't create a new profile.

Rbagri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the most current ipsw 6.1.3, followed the directions as:
First placed iPad in DFU mode and opened iTunes, iPad needs restored. clicked ok
pressed 'restore' and used the restore ipsw,
The pad screen first black, then apple logo comes with the swirly circle but immediately stops
for several minutes, itunes shows 'preparing ipad for restore'
Then the error code 21 appears in itunes, the ipad screen goes back to showing the plug in picture.

Before going in the DFU mode this is on the ipad screen:

[NAND] _FindFlashMediaAndKeepout :429 physical nand block offset 16
[NAND] start:220 this 8x9505ac88 PROVIDER=8x95eeec200 flash media+8X
[NAND] WMR_Start:149 Apple PPN NAND Driver, Read/Write
[NAND] WMR_Start:174 FIL_Init [OK]

The iPad 2 was not jailbreaked.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 21 often occurs when other software on your PC is interfering with the process. Ensure EVERYTHING possible is closed / shut down / quit on your PC before you start. In particular, all anti-virus, firewall, and other security software you may have.

MarioLau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have iPad2 GSM+WiFi Jailbroken which run smoothly before. Suddenly, my iPad always reboot after 3 mins.
I tried to restore to the latest iOS recently, but always ending with error code -1 even in DFU mode.
I went to service centre and they said it had hardware problem. However, it never fell down or whatsoever that would cause hardware issue.
Then, i tried to restore using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.14, and found out the problem occurred in updating baseband stage. I find out that A5+ processor couldnt preserve the baseband
Do you have any solution or idea on this? Please kindly help me

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have iPad2 GSM+WiFi Jailbroken which run smoothly before. Suddenly, my iPad always reboot after 3 mins.
I tried to restore to the latest iOS recently, but always ending with error code -1 even in DFU mode.
I went to service centre and they said it had hardware problem. However, it never fell down or whatsoever that would cause hardware issue.
Then, i tried to restore using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.14, and found out the problem occurred in updating baseband stage. I find out that A5+ processor couldnt preserve the baseband
Do you have any solution or idea on this? Please kindly help me

If you have already taken it in for service and they have told you there is a hardware fault, then I'm afraid that is what you have. A hardware fault.
An iPad does not need to be dropped or mistreated in order for hardware to break or a fault to develop. It is not unheard of for older devices to develop nand / flash memory errors which prevent a successful restore operation, and I suspect that is what has happened in your case.

If you have tried all of the steps in the first post of this tutorial, then I'm sorry, but your iPad is likely broken and cannot be restored :(

Rbagri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the most current ipsw 6.1.3, followed the directions as:
First placed iPad in DFU mode and opened iTunes, iPad needs restored. clicked ok
pressed 'restore' and used the restore ipsw,
The pad screen first black, then apple logo comes with the swirly circle but immediately stops
for several minutes, itunes shows 'preparing ipad for restore'
Then the error code 21 appears in itunes, the ipad screen goes back to showing the plug in picture.

Before going in the DFU mode this is on the ipad screen:

[NAND] _FindFlashMediaAndKeepout :429 physical nand block offset 16
[NAND] start:220 this 8x9505ac88 PROVIDER=8x95eeec200 flash media+8X
[NAND] WMR_Start:149 Apple PPN NAND Driver, Read/Write
[NAND] WMR_Start:174 FIL_Init [OK]

The iPad 2 was not jailbreaked.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks.

I went to service center and they said it had hardware problem. Most probably it had developed nand / flash memory errors which was preventing a successful restore operation. I opted for the Out of warranty replacement and the new iPad will be delivered to me within a couple of days with a 90 day warranty.

Thanx for the help.

hgonzalz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to unjaibreak my ipad 3 att 4g lte. I followed all steps on forum but still get error 1600 on my macbook. Any suggestions?

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I may be experiencing a similar problem, but I'm not sure so please bear with me. I had a jailbroken iPad Mini at 6.1.1 (?) using Evasion ever since it came out. I forgot to recharge it all day yesterday. After I recharged it, the "Connect to iTunes with USB" logo screen appears and now I can't go past that.

I don't want to lose all my apps/jailbroken material. Is there a way to fix this? Or is my only option to reset and upgrade to 6.1.3? Much thanks!

santic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got to step 6 but when i execute iTunes instead of detecting my iPad 2, it shows a message where it says that i cannot connect with iPhone's software update server. any ideas why this is it? the message pop up almost immediatly but once it seemed to be searching for the servers but in the end it showed the same message.

I currently have an JB iPad2 with iOS 4.3.3 and wish to upgrade to iOS6

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This tutorial is only to the most current version of iOS (the one Apple is signing. Today - that is iOS 6.1.3, which is NOT jailbreakable (in case that matters).

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I may be experiencing a similar problem, but I'm not sure so please bear with me. I had a jailbroken iPad Mini at 6.1.1 (?) using Evasion ever since it came out. I forgot to recharge it all day yesterday. After I recharged it, the "Connect to iTunes with USB" logo screen appears and now I can't go past that.

I don't want to lose all my apps/jailbroken material. Is there a way to fix this? Or is my only option to reset and upgrade to 6.1.3? Much thanks!

Have you tried a restart or a reset of the Mini? To do (apologies if you know):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Maybe that'll help?

Marilyn

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a restart or a reset of the Mini? To do (apologies if you know):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Maybe that'll help?

Marilyn

Yup, I've tried both. Keep getting the USB Connect to iTunes screen and iTunes askin me to restore my ipad. Does this mean I'm heading towards upgrading to 6.1.3 and losing my jailbreak? I think I already know the answer...:(

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, I've tried both. Keep getting the USB Connect to iTunes screen and iTunes askin me to restore my ipad. Does this mean I'm heading towards upgrading to 6.1.3 and losing my jailbreak? I think I already know the answer...:(

Try using redsn0w to exit recovery mode. Download from the first post here - http://blog.iphone-dev.org

The go to Extras > Recovery Fix.

Good Luck.

Most reactions