What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It it's a hardware failure, your only option for getting it working again is to have it repaired at a suitable repair shop.

Nooovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need your help. I've read through several posts, and may already know the answer to my question (restore to 6.1.3), but maybe someone here may be able to help.

I have an iPad 4 64Gb, on iOS 6.1 and jailbroken with Evasi0n.. my sister, frustrated with my iMessages coming through and beeping had decided to hold the on/off button and turned it off. Well, when I turned the iPad back on, I got the "restore" (plug into iTunes) graphic and it has been stuck there ever since. I have tried exiting restore using TinyUmbrella 6.14, and RecBoot 2.2 but neither have worked. I can get the iPad into DFU mode as well, and iTunes recognizes it in both states (DFU and Restore), but wants me to restore.

The thing is... I really don't want to upgrade to 6.1.3... I don't care about free apps etc, but have a ton of useful Cydia tweaks that I don't want to lose, and going back to non-enhanced iOS, and being locked there until the next 7.0 jailbreak will drive me bonkers... Not sure why turning the iPad off may have crashed the OS?

So, is there anything I may have missed for getting out of Restore? Any suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just wanted to say that I have the SHSH saved for 6.1 in TinyUmbrella if that helps anything.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try exiting recovery using redsn0w, rather than TU. I've seen that work when TU does not.

Nooovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply... I will give that a shot tonight. And if that doesn't work? ... I suppose I am running out of options huh?

A side rant... It pains me to say this, because I am a 12 year long Apple faithful, but Apple is starting to really tick me off with their tightening restrictions on their mobile devices... Fine, lock down unauthorized apps, but for Pete's sake ... let the people tweak! :)

Swarmjag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short question...
If I did a botched recovery mode recover using stock iTunes 6.1.3 over top my rooted 6.1 can I download the 6.1 firmware and use this process to get back to a root able 6.1? The recover looked like it worked but it wouldn't activate and their was nothing to remove from my hosts file or any security turned on my pc.

The detail behind the short if you need to know to craft an appropriate answer

iPad 4 model A1460 32gb CDMA + GSM (world)
Was rooted using evasi0n on 6.1 and running fine. Till one day it started crashing no matter what I eas doing. I tried removing recent package installs but had no luck. I eventually put it in recovery mode and took the default iTunes recover to 6.1.3 which appeared to work fine. Until the activation which wouldn't work. I tried all kinds of things after that pwnd dfu using snobreeze unofficial ipsw recovers etc. then I found this wonderful site with what looks to be the exact process and files I need only my pref would be to get back to 6.1 rooted. Sorry apple I love your product but I just have this thing about people controlling what I can and cannot do with my toys. Any help from the community here would be greatly appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Short question...
If I did a botched recovery mode recover using stock iTunes 6.1.3 over top my rooted 6.1 can I download the 6.1 firmware and use this process to get back to a root able 6.1? The recover looked like it worked but it wouldn't activate and their was nothing to remove from my hosts file or any security turned on my pc.

The detail behind the short if you need to know to craft an appropriate answer

iPad 4 model A1460 32gb CDMA + GSM (world)
Was rooted using evasi0n on 6.1 and running fine. Till one day it started crashing no matter what I eas doing. I tried removing recent package installs but had no luck. I eventually put it in recovery mode and took the default iTunes recover to 6.1.3 which appeared to work fine. Until the activation which wouldn't work. I tried all kinds of things after that pwnd dfu using snobreeze unofficial ipsw recovers etc. then I found this wonderful site with what looks to be the exact process and files I need only my pref would be to get back to 6.1 rooted. Sorry apple I love your product but I just have this thing about people controlling what I can and cannot do with my toys. Any help from the community here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid that you're going to have to follow the instructions in the first post in this thread, which will leave your iPad on iOS 6.1.3. Once there, you will not be able to downgrade and will have to wait for a jailbreak for the upcoming iOS 7.

Swarmjag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last question.. To help prevent future mistakes. Had I done the shift key + recover button to start with I could have gotten back to 6.1 and re rooted?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. The iPad 4 cannot be selectively restored, meaning the only iOS that you can restore to is the latest iOS, in which case is 6.1.3. BUT. HUGE but. I know someone that knows another person that's working on a little project that's still in beta testing. I've tested it on 2 devices so far and it looks promising, but still a little buggy. We'll see how that re-restore method pans out.

Swarmjag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I got dfu mode and restored to the 6.1.3 official firmware from the link. It all worked fine but result is same it won't activate. Host file confirmed correct I even tried activating not connected to iTunes using my wifi. Any ideas?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I got dfu mode and restored to the 6.1.3 official firmware from the link. It all worked fine but result is same it won't activate. Host file confirmed correct I even tried activating not connected to iTunes using my wifi. Any ideas?

Activation of an iPad is not about the wifi connection. It is related to the cellular service (either GSM or CDMA). It sounds to me like your CDMA is trying to active (and failing)... I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge from the UK end goes, as we don't have CDMA over here. If you have a GSM SIM in there, which is not in current contract, I'd suggest removing it. Good luck.

Nooovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need your help. I've read through several posts, and may already know the answer to my question (restore to 6.1.3), but maybe someone here may be able to help.

I have an iPad 4 64Gb, on iOS 6.1 and jailbroken with Evasi0n.. my sister, frustrated with my iMessages coming through and beeping had decided to hold the on/off button and turned it off. Well, when I turned the iPad back on, I got the "restore" (plug into iTunes) graphic and it has been stuck there ever since. I have tried exiting restore using TinyUmbrella 6.14, and RecBoot 2.2 but neither have worked. I can get the iPad into DFU mode as well, and iTunes recognizes it in both states (DFU and Restore), but wants me to restore.

The thing is... I really don't want to upgrade to 6.1.3... I don't care about free apps etc, but have a ton of useful Cydia tweaks that I don't want to lose, and going back to non-enhanced iOS, and being locked there until the next 7.0 jailbreak will drive me bonkers... Not sure why turning the iPad off may have crashed the OS?

So, is there anything I may have missed for getting out of Restore? Any suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just wanted to say that I have the SHSH saved for 6.1 in TinyUmbrella if that helps anything.

Try exiting recovery using redsn0w, rather than TU. I've seen that work when TU does not.

Ok... TinyUmbrella only sees the iPad when it is in Recovery as an ECID number and not at all in DFU. Any attempt at Fix Recovery when in Recovery results in a new ECID number but is still stuck in Recovery.

I tried Redsnow, but when the iPad is in DFU, if I click on any action (Jailbreak or within Extras) Redsnow shows and "Unexpected Error" message. Tried for a custom IPSW, but selecting any IOS 6.0 or higher, I get a "Wrong IPSW Type" message. All my SHSH check out with APTicket valid and present... but I guess I can't do anything with that anyway huh?

I tried to access the iPad through SSH Ramdisk (from Mostly Iphone Hacking msftguy*blogspot*ca) but got "Ignoring unsupported device UNSUPPORTED" from the app when iPad is plugged in.

So? is my only option here to restore to 6.1.3? Just checking with you guys on the final word before I pull the trigger :( Thanks for any advice...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it's stuck on the Recovery mode screen and not at the Apple logo, it's pretty hard to fix the issue as you don't have access to your device at all. See if you can put the device into Safe Mode.

Nooovie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... the only modes I have been able to get to were the Recovery (cable connecting to iTunes logo), or DFU with blank screen. But that's it... I can can only go between these two screens by going through the home and power button :S

The iPad doesn't even show up in OSX Disk Utillity... though iTunes recognizes it as an iPad and wants me to restore.

I guess I will have to make peace with having to wait until iOS 7.0 jailbreak huh?

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since your computer can't recognize it, you won't be able to use iLEX R.A.T. to either wipe the tweaks or wipe everything and retain the jailbreak. Considering the steps you've taken, the only solution to get the iPad working again would be to do a fresh restore since you can't get into Safe Mode.

Most reactions