TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides' started by f4780y, Nov 7, 2011.

1. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the option is disabled then you do not have the correct permissions. The hosts file is a hidden system file. You can only edit it if you (and the program you are using, such as TU) have full administrator privileges.

Since you don't seem to have those, I suggest you follow the instructions in the guide about editing the file manually (in the first post).

2. sharkskill

sharkskill
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I get the error that my iPad 4 could not be restored. Error code 1601. :( I've been trying to upgrade from the stock iOS 6.0.1 to the recently released iOS 6.1 via iTunes.

#182 sharkskill, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. TahaKhlaif

TahaKhlaif
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i tried to restore the software using iTunes ( under windows and under MAC ) but an error appears after downloading SW update an d starting extracting files , the error message is "The iPad Could not be restored , unknown error occurred "9" "
    i searched the error and following all procedures mentioned on the web site but still the same error appear

please AdviceIpad.png

#183 TahaKhlaif, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  4. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Error 9

Error 9 is a USB communications error.

This most often happens if you are not using a genuine Apple iPad cable. Not all cables are the same, even older iPhone cables which are made by Apple do not always work when restoring a newer iPad.
    Try and alternative cable if you can.

Also, ensure you are not connecting to a USB hub (regardless of whether it is powered or not). Try a different USB port on your PC.

Finally, make sure you have all anti-virus, anti-malware, and any other "utilities" shut down when you try and restore. They can often cause problems.

Good luck.

PS - I will move this thread into the Hacking Section as it does not belong in the tutorials area.

5. Kenny407

Kenny407
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do have permissions on my computer, I already tried with a MacBook Pro and it's giving me error 40

6. gresh14

gresh14
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Did you try restarting your computer and trying again? I had an error when trying to restore, don't remember what error number it was, tried everything to fix the problem then finally tried to just restart my computer, for whatever reason I no longer got an error and restored my ipad with no problem.

7. avma

avma
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

During an attempt to update my iPad 3 4G 64GB model A1430 from ios 6.0.2 to 6.1, I ran into a problem where my ipad was stuck without completing the upgrade and was unable to start properly.

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I tried to restore the firmware, following every step on this TUTORIAL thoroughly, but I keep getting the following message: the ipad "ipad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1).[/FONT]

Any suggestions or help on how to overcame this problem and restore my iPad will be much appreciated...

Best Regards
    AM

8. coohou

coohou
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem. The restore was out in the end of process. "The ipad "ipad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1). " Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

9. coohou

coohou
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I finally got it fix. Use Redsnow's recovery to fix the problem.

10. anderson958

anderson958
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick note of thanks for all this information. Saved me on a messed up jailbreak on my iPad 3. Especially the tips on the error -1. Really appreciate the assistance.... worked for me after a series of error 3194 and error -1, started at the beginning of the thread and worked my way through until the restore worked.