What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Downgrade your iPad2 or iPad3 using SHSH Blobs and redsn0w

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForums tutorial on how to downgrade your iPad to a 5.x firmware using SHSH Blobs and redsn0w!

NOTE - With the release of IOS6, this tutorial will no longer work! PLEASE DO NOT USE IT.
The new version of redsn0w has been released which supports restoration of iPad2 and iPad3 firmwares. Our NEW tutorial for it is here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html

----------

redsn0w has been slowly evolving to be far more than just a jailbreak tool, and the latest iteration delivers something the community has been eagerly anticipating for a while. iPad2 and iPad3 owners can now downgrade their devices to previous versions of 5.x firmware.
NOTE - You must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to downgrade to. Without these, you cannot downgrade under any circumstances. No blobs = no downgrade. See our FAQ for more information about blobs - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

The following downgrades are supported as things stand:

iPad3
  • 5.1.1 to 5.1
iPad2

This tutorial will demonstrate a downgrade of an iPad3 from 5.1.1 to 5.1. You should substitute the appropriate versions depending on what you want to do.

Preparation
In order to downgrade your device you will need two (2) firmware files. A copy of the current version of IOS, which is 5.1.1, and a copy of the version of IOS you want to downgrade to. redsn0w actually has to update your device to 5.1.1 if it is not currently installed before it can downgrade, and it needs access to important files in the firmware to work its magic.
You can download the files you need from our hand thread. Make sure you pick the right files for your specific device - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html
Next, you need to download the latest version of redsn0w from the iPhone dev-team blog here - Dev-Team Blog
You will need at least version 0.9.11 or newer.

Let's Downgrade!
1. Launch redsn0w on your computer and select the "Extras" option (Don't forget to run the executable as an "Administrator" if you are using a Windows PC)
rsdg01.png

2. Choose the "Even more" option ;)
rsdg02.png

3. Choose the "Restore" option
rsdg03.png

4. Now we have to select the IPSW firmware file we want to restore TO. i.e the version of IOS you want to end up with. For the purposes of this tutorial, that is the iPad3 5.1 IPSW. Press the "IPSW" button…
rsdg04.png

5. Navigate to where you downloaded the IPSW file which you prepared earlier in the tutorial and select it…
rsdg05.png

6. redsn0w will tell you it requires an additional file to complete the process. This will be the 5.1.1 IPSW mentioned in the preparation section above.
rsdg06.png

7. Navigate to this file and select it too…
rsdg07.png

8. Once your iPad is detected by redsn0w, the magic begins! Press OK once you see the "Connect to iTunes" recovery mode graphic on your device.
rsdg08.png

9. Next you need to provide your SHSH Blobs for the version of IOS you are downgrading to. Remember - no blobs, no downgrade!
rsdg09.png

10. You have 2 choices. If you blobs are stored on Cydia, then choose the "Remote" option and redsn0w will retrieve them on your behalf.
If you have your blobs saved locally using TinyUmbrella, as I do, select "Local" and select the correct SHSH file for your device and firmware…
rsdg10.png

11. For devices with cellular radio, redsn0w will fetch the latest baseband for your device as basebands cannot be downgraded under any circumstances today so the latest baseband must be slipstreamed into your firmware downgrade.
rsdg11.png

12. Now the magic really begins. Sit back and relax whilst your device is downgraded by first upgrading to a special hacked version of 5.1.1!
rsdg12.png

rsdg14.png

rsdg16.png

rsdg17.png

rsdg18.png

13. After a while your device will reboot and go back into recovery mode… Don't Panic! Now your target version of IOS is restored...
rsdg19.png

14. That's it! If everything went to plan, after a while, your device will be downgraded to the version of IOS you requested. Presto!
rsdg20.png

15. Congratulations! You just downgraded your A5 iPad device. Awesome work! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial :D

NOTE - The vulnerabilities used by redsn0w to perform the downgrade can be easily patched by Apple. In many ways it is amazing that they have not patched them already since it was the same vulnerability used by the Absinthe jailbreak. Do not rely on being able to downgrade from a NEWER version of IOS than those stated above. If you want to go back to a particular version of IOS, do so today before it is too late! You have been warned :D

Happy Downgrading Fellow Jailbreakers!

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
See?

THIS is why I love this forum and this Hacking section! An excellent, yet quickly written, tutorial is now up for a brand new process! And, my Evernote links notebook is now updated...

Job well done - and thanks, f4780y.

Marilyn

MicroLao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent !!!

I downgraded my 5.1 back to 5.0 after losing my jailbreak to an unofficial Spire app. After nearly a month and 1/2 of waiting eagerly for 5.1 jailbreak, I was delighted to see this option surface. Now I'm jailbroken again and all is well. I'm glad I saved my 5.0.1 SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella a few months ago.

icedzed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i have an ipad 2, wifi+3g, fw 5.1.1, i have 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 shsh saved, i try this tutorial, but when i choose the firmware 4.3.3, redsnow don't ask me for 5.1.1, after i put ipad in dfu, i can only press "remote" if i do it, i get this error:

immaginewry.png

what can i do?

icedzed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, after a lot of try now i can press "local" i download fw 5.1.1, 5.0.1 and 4.3.3, i open redsnow, i choose extra bla bla bla restore, ipsw, i choose 5.01, redsnow ask me to choose also 5.1.1, in this way i can click "local" button, after, i press again ipsw, this time i choose 4.3.3, i click local and i choose my shsh

BUT! now i get error 37 in redsnow.. how i can solve it?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
icedzed said:
i'm blocked at flashing nor, everytime i try, how can i solve?

This sounds to me like you have software running on your PC which is stopping the process. Your previous posts about iTunes Error 9 indicate that too. You should disable all firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware software and ensure you are running the tools as an administrator.

The problem is definitely with your local setup and not with the tools.

icedzed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i try with this pc, a new pc formatted without antivirus, a normal mac and a mac formatted, on pc still the same error, on mac the process for press "local" work but i get another error, i read on devteam blog and it seem i'm not the only one with the problem of "flashin nor".. i think i have to wait for new redsnow version.. "-.-

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When iOS 6 comes out and Apple stops signing the 5.1.1 iOS will this still work if you never update to iOS 6 ?

Thanks
Randy

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When iOS 6 comes out and Apple stops signing the 5.1.1 iOS will this still work if you never update to iOS 6 ?

Thanks
Randy

Highly unlikely unless Apple are stupid enough to leave the vulnerability open. Somehow I doubt they will....

xitumlum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi f4780y, so now it's confirmed Apple are not "stupid enough" and this guide do not work anymore, is it? :)
I'm asking you in another post to unjailbreak 5.1.1. It would be OK to downgrade to 5.0.1 too. But I guess it won't work anymore.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, if this tutorial was valid for you I would have told you about it! I've updated the first post to make it explicit.

Sya8revo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how to downgrade from ios6 to ios 5.1.1 for ipad 3

Hai.. is there tutorial to downgrade my ipad3 from ios6 to iOS 5.1.1 back..
cuz for new iOS 6 still cant jailbreak...

thx:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions