What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off the Bookmarks Bar

406moggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been into Safari Settings and attempted to turn off "Always Show Bookmarks Bar " but it seems to have no effect. I've reset the iPad by holding down sleep/wake button and the Home button, but all to no avail.
How can I get rid of this Bookmarks Bar as I have no need of it. Any help appreciated please!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. That is odd, because I don't even have to do a reset or a restart for that on/off button to work.

Have you tried fully closing out Safari in the multi-tasking bar? Maybe it's just "stuck"?

Honestly, I don't have anything else, because it doesn't make sense that it doesn't work. Sorry. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Marilyn

OP

406moggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I fully close out the Safari Bar?
regards
406moggy

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Double press the Home button (or do a four-finger swipe up) to reveal the multitasking bar. One of the icons that should be revealed is Safari. Press and hold it until it starts to wiggle and you see a red minus sign in the upper left of the icon. Press the minus sign and the Safari icon will disappear. You're not removing it from the iPad, just resident memory.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

ravenaoki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anywhooooo...... What's a bookmark bar? And what if it's on? Sorry about this silly question. But mickey your instruction works, great!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is the Bookmark Bar, just under the tool bar.

BookmarkBar.jpg

If you want a bookmark to show up here just save your bookmark to the folder of the same name, also shown. If you don't have any bookmarks saved there, it probably won't show up. If you have the show always option turned off in Settings > Safari, it will only show up when you tap on the URL or Search fields at the top.

OP

406moggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

406moggy

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad we could help.

Oh, and twerppoet - I see that you are already making full use of your new Skitch for iPad app! :D

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, 406moggy.

I was referring to twerppoet's picture. He use the [brand new and free!] app, Skitch for iPad, to create it. He was talking about it today on another thread.

Sorry to confuse.

Marilyn

P.S. But, take a look at that app - it's a very cool way to easily annotate pictures, screenshots, web pages and maps...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad we could help.

Oh, and twerppoet - I see that you are already making full use of your new Skitch for iPad app! :D

Marilyn

Actually, I did this before the review. It was my first test. That's why the background is the Evernote site. I'd just used it to link to the App Store page (was having problems with search) and download it. :D

Searching for it works now, btw. I'm guessing the app was so new the search database had not caught up with it yet.

OP

406moggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Afraid that I still can't get rid of the bookmarks bar. Have tried the double press of home button and deleted the Safari icon, but still can not get rid of the bar. Going in to Settings, then Safari and turning the Always Show Bookmarks bar OFF has no effect whatsoever.
I've had my iPad for about three months with no problems, but this Bookmarks Bar has appeared in the past week or so and will not go away. It's perplexing to say the least.

Any more suggestions much appreciated.

406moggy

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see how that would be annoying. I am afraid that the only solution I can suggest to you is to restore your iPad. This will entail making a backup and then, using iTunes, wiping out your iPad and starting over with a fresh iOS.

Unless maybe you want to take a trip to the Apple Store and ask the Geniuses there. Cause, from here, I cannot replicate your problem and I sure can't recommend you delete and then reinstall Safari. Well, that's what the restore does, actually. Wipes out that Safari and puts a new one on. It's just that it also wipes out everything.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help but I am tapped out.

Marilyn

OP

406moggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help anyway. I'll probably try a back up and restore at some stage.
Happy Christmas to you all.
Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts