What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off ipad2

Eli02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will turning off my ipad2 every night do any harm than good?

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it will be fine. I leave my iPad on all day but turn it off at night. I think it's good to turn it off every now and then. It kind of resets it

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple recommends that you turn you iPad off and on again at least once a month, for that reset value. Other than that it won't make enough of a difference to matter.

Do what makes you most comfortable.

Though if you are not going to use the iPad for several days it is probably best to play it safe and turn it off.

OP
Eli02

Eli02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
No, it will be fine. I leave my iPad on all day but turn it off at night. I think it's good to turn it off every now and then. It kind of resets it

Thanks for the tip guys!!

locoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that turning it off, does not close all of the apps that have been opened and are still running in RAM. It that correct. Is there an easy way to close all the Apps at once and clear out the RAM or doesn't it matter.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
locoman said:
I noticed that turning it off, does not close all of the apps that have been opened and are still running in RAM. It that correct. Is there an easy way to close all the Apps at once and clear out the RAM or doesn't it matter.

You can close all apps by doing the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
You can close all apps by doing the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I have a habbit of closing down apps like this all the time.. Same with the iPhone

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The multitask bar lists everything that's been run since that last time you bothered to clear it out, whether it is still in RAM or not. The iPad 2 only has 512MB of RAM. It could not hold all those apps in RAM. The iPad will clear apps from RAM as new space is needed. Occasionally a manual clearing of apps may help an app with large RAM requirements to run. This is more common on the iPad 1, with it's smaller amount of RAM.

Regardless. Restarting the iPad clears RAM. The apps in the list will be just that, in a list. They may have their last running state saved (not in RAM), depending on the whether the developer included that feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts