What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn Your Jailbroken iPad into a Giant iPhone with Cydia App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36qTeAdDMI&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - PhoneItiPad - Hack that turns your iPad 3G into a fully functional phone[/ame]​

Engadget reports today on a new Cydia app called PhoneIt-iPad which turns your jailbroken 3G iPad into a giant phone, complete with cellular calling and texting. The app comes from iPhoneIslam, who previously were responsible for the hack that got FaceTime onto the iPhone 3GS. The app costs $20 via iPhoneIslam team’s Cydia store, and is apparently available to download now. Electricpig, also covering the story, notes that while iOS 5 soon will be bringing a form of texting to the iPad with iMessage, that service will only work when texting other iOS device users, whereas PhoneIt-iPad’s texting system will let the user send text messages to any phone on any carrier. The video explains exactly how the app works, and it really does seem to be very easy to operate, so worth a try if you’ve been wanting to make calls and send text via your jailbroken iPad using giant buttons!

Source: PhoneIt-iPad available via Cydia now, claims it'll turn your iPad 3G into a phone (video) -- Engadget, Electric Pig

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app that does this without jailbreaking, so I wouldn't jailbreak for this feature.

crazycoder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this indicate that the voice GSM chip is already bundled in the Ipad 3G?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this indicate that the voice GSM chip is already bundled in the Ipad 3G?

I don't know. But the app I referred to is free, so you might want to check it out. It lets you call or do SMS. It's called Talkatone. No jailbreaking needed, but you need a Google Voice account, which is also free.

refrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey kay, i think your referring to free voip call app.
this one is re implementing back the phone capability of ios which is totally taken out in ipad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this one is re implementing back the phone capability of ios which is totally taken out in ipad

What's the difference as long as I can call people?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

this one calls via carrier just like iphone, the previous one uses VOIP via data call.

OK, but that doesn't answer my question. If they both perform the same service, why is one way better than another? Not that I care to make phone calls on iPad, but I'm curious why it'd be worth jailbreaking and paying.

refrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this one calls via carrier just like iphone, the previous one uses VOIP via data call.

OK, but that doesn't answer my question. If they both perform the same service, why is one way better than another? Not that I care to make phone calls on iPad, but I'm curious why it'd be worth jailbreaking and paying.

the price is the bugger here.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

the price is the bugger here.

That's what I've asked repeatedly: Why would someone jailbreak and pay for a feature that's already available for free and without jailbreaking?

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To anyone who purchased this app, could you please comment -

Is there an integration of the diaper with the contacts app? Meaning I can pick a contact from the list and call him? I ask because in youtuebe, the video only shows the dialed pad with the numbers to dial from, so I want to verify I dont need to typed people numbers manually but rather call from the contact list.

Thanks!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To anyone who purchased this app, could you please comment -

Is there an integration of the diaper with the contacts app? Meaning I can pick a contact from the list and call him? I ask because in youtuebe, the video only shows the dialed pad with the numbers to dial from, so I want to verify I dont need to typed people numbers manually but rather call from the contact list.

Thanks!

Talkatone lets you call from your contacts list. It's free, so you could try it and delete if you don't like it.

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay I am asking specifically regarding the dail app covered in this thread.

Most reactions