Turn Your Jailbroken iPad into a Giant iPhone with Cydia App

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jun 13, 2011.

By Maura on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM
  1. Maura

Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Received:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36qTeAdDMI&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - PhoneItiPad - Hack that turns your iPad 3G into a fully functional phone[/ame]​

Engadget reports today on a new Cydia app called PhoneIt-iPad which turns your jailbroken 3G iPad into a giant phone, complete with cellular calling and texting. The app comes from iPhoneIslam, who previously were responsible for the hack that got FaceTime onto the iPhone 3GS. The app costs $20 via iPhoneIslam team’s Cydia store, and is apparently available to download now. Electricpig, also covering the story, notes that while iOS 5 soon will be bringing a form of texting to the iPad with iMessage, that service will only work when texting other iOS device users, whereas PhoneIt-iPad’s texting system will let the user send text messages to any phone on any carrier. The video explains exactly how the app works, and it really does seem to be very easy to operate, so worth a try if you’ve been wanting to make calls and send text via your jailbroken iPad using giant buttons!

Source: PhoneIt-iPad available via Cydia now, claims it'll turn your iPad 3G into a phone (video) -- Engadget, Electric Pig
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kaykaykay
      There's an app that does this without jailbreaking, so I wouldn't jailbreak for this feature.
    2. crazycoder
      Does this indicate that the voice GSM chip is already bundled in the Ipad 3G?
    3. Kaykaykay
      I don't know. But the app I referred to is free, so you might want to check it out. It lets you call or do SMS. It's called Talkatone. No jailbreaking needed, but you need a Google Voice account, which is also free.
    4. refrainer
      hey kay, i think your referring to free voip call app.
      this one is re implementing back the phone capability of ios which is totally taken out in ipad
    5. Kaykaykay
      What's the difference as long as I can call people?
    6. mikeos
      Bit pointless
    7. refrainer
      this one calls via carrier just like iphone, the previous one uses VOIP via data call.
    8. refrainer
      this would be nice if its free
    9. Kaykaykay
      OK, but that doesn't answer my question. If they both perform the same service, why is one way better than another? Not that I care to make phone calls on iPad, but I'm curious why it'd be worth jailbreaking and paying.