What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn off voice dictation sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I turn off the sound for dictation on the iPad3? Every time I hit the button to dictate I get a little beat and it's not very functional in a meeting.

Thanks

Greygoose

Tisntom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I turn off the sound for dictation on the iPad3? Every time I hit the button to dictate I get a little beat and it's not very functional in a meeting.

Thanks

Greygoose

That's easy. Go to settings, tap general, then go down to keyboard, tap keyboard and turn the dictation off.

Tisntom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, sorry about that. Just re-read your post and saw that you wanted to turn the sound for the beep off not the dictation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There does not appear to be any way to turn it off. None of the settings I tried worked.

What did work?

Plugging in a set of headphones. It still beeps, but of course no one but you can hear it, nor will you if you don't actaully wear them. If the headphones have a microphone you could tuck the earpieces away and leave only the microphone part (clipped?) to your collar; maintaining the fiction that you are actually paying attention to the meeting. ;) That might help with room noise. Or, you could probably use an adaptor jack if having the headphones plugged in is awkward.

I also tried dictation with my Jawbone Icon (bluetooth earpiece) paired. I was surprised when it worked, since it has been poorly supported in the past. The initial beep to start talking was delayed by a couple seconds, but it did a good job otherwise.

If you don't mind; I'm curious about what kind of meeting you are attending where you would be comfortable dictating to your iPad, but uncomfortable with it beeping? Both seem a bit distracting (and potentially Boss irritating) to me.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your Answer!

Thanks

Greygoose

Actually took me a bit to figure it out.

1. Hit the dictation icon, but don't talk
2. Using volume up/down physical switch on the iPad/iPhone, lower the volume to off.
3. Hit the dictation icon again.
4. Test if the beep goes away.

On mine, I had the opposite problem. I somehow muted the beeping, and wondered how to get it back.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's annoying because even when my volume is all the way down and ringer is muted, it still beeps (and loudly).

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's annoying because even when my volume is all the way down and ringer is muted, it still beeps (and loudly).

Try what I put above and let me know if that sound stays off. It does for me.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually took me a bit to figure it out.

2. Using volume up/down physical switch on the iPad/iPhone, lower the volume to off.

On mine, I had the opposite problem. I somehow muted the beeping, and wondered how to get it back.
It works!!! Thanks!
iPhone 4S users: it works for Siri as well.

624Jay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This will only lower the volume to a minimum

2. Slide up to "Dictation Settings"
3. Even though there is not a volume bar per say, adjust volume to zero using the physical buttons to zero.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread was started about ten years ago. Some features are not working the same way now. The OP and some of the participants haven‘t been active for quite a while.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts