What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn iPad off or put in sleep mode?

OP
S

Summer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just leave it in sleep mode.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jizmo said:
Sleep mode, battery seemingly lasts forever lol

Damn.

Mine looses 1%/hour on sleep mode. Perhaps I should update to 4.3.2, but I am still hoping for a release of comex 4.3 iPad 2 jb :(

Do you leave your data on?

I know after checking my T-Mobile account that the iPad consumes small amounts of data even when its in sleep mode. I only turn data on when I need it.

Reaction score
Harters said:

I know after checking my T-Mobile account that the iPad consumes small amounts of data even when its in sleep mode. I only turn data on when I need it.

Yes, 3G and Wifi is always on, in case one drops out.

Tonight, both will be turned off for better comparison ;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:

If you have wifi at home (obviously I don't know where you are using it) shouldn't it default to the wifi over the 3G....I'm just asking as I don't know.....I only have the wifi model?

The Archangel

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely. The iPad always uses wifi over 3G, even when the wifi network isn't even connected to the Internet. That is the smart iPad I learned to love :D

Yes, shame it doesn't swtich automatically :(

In my reply I should of clarified more :p When my iPad is in sleep mode and away from a Wifi source, it consumes small amouts of data if data is turned on.

I guess this would cause a drain?

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Absolutely. The iPad always uses wifi over 3G, even when the wifi network isn't even connected to the Internet. That is the smart iPad I learned to love :D

The iPad will use 3g when in sleep mode rather than wifi as it uses less power. I have confirmed this by checking my 3G usage. It only shows usage when I know my iPad is asleep.

Regards, Mick

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

The iPad will use 3g when in sleep mode rather than wifi as it uses less power. I have confirmed this by checking my 3G usage. It only shows usage when I know my iPad is asleep.

Regards, Mick

3G uses less power?? I didn't know that and is good to hear :)

Reaction score
miket5au said:

Regards, Mick

I am tempted to believe that is actually what is happening, because when the iPad is connected to a wifi without internet access, it still pushes emails when in sleep mode.

However, Apple clearly stated that 3G uses more power then Wifi.

10h browsing over wifi
9h browsing over 3G

so I am not sure, why the sudden change in opinion on Apple's side.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also apple suggests rebooting every week or so as well :)

fribourg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I highly doubt 3G uses less power than WIFI but might be wrong ...

Most reactions