1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

TuneIn Radio

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by waggs, May 30, 2011.

1. waggs

waggs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do I get this to work properly?
    I listen to BBC Radio3, it takes about 2 mins just to tune in, then it starts cutting out. I've tried fStream, which tunes in quicker but still cuts out until it gives up completely:(( I've tried mucking about with settings, without really knowing what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Connected via Wi-FI belkin_G_Plus_MIMO_ADSL

Anyone help please? I just want to switch the radio on, and listen to it in one go, not jumps and starts...

TIA
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    OK - I'm shocked because this app is universally loved by Members.

What have you got 'Settings', 'TuneIn' and 'Buffer before playing' set to?

What's the bandwidth of your ADSL link?

Tim
  3. waggs

waggs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tim, yes it does seem well-liked, maybe the prob's with my ISP, or the BBC???

How do I find my bandwidth? I've just tested my connection speeds, if that's what you mean...

download 4.8Mb
    upload 0.6Mb
    ping/latency43Ms
  4. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    TuneIn is one of my most favorite apps. I'm listening to streaming audio from TuneIn as I type this reply.

Are you having this problem with all the streams you try to listen to, or is it just with the BBC3? .. If it's just the BBC, then there might be a problem with the server, or the path between you and the server..

And... As Tim Spracklen suggests, you can reduce dropouts significantly by increasing the buffer time. I use TuneIn in the car under 3G.. There are a few spots that I travel to where the 3G signal is weak. I set a 20 second buffer and it really helped a lot with dropouts.
  5. ipadowner27

ipadowner27 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi
    I had a similar problem with radio 1 on my iPhone. I think it's more to do with demand from the BBC server end. A home broadband connection should have no problem with a 128kb stream. Tune in allows you to select other versions of the stream. Unfortunately unlike radio 1 there are no regional versions that you could try. Your only option would be press the middle button on the top right and select choose stream. The other option is a higher bandwidth but may be less used and so not cut out.
    You are not alone in this problem and I hope it is fixed soon

Hope it helps
    Conor
  6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I've seen the other replies, too. Your bandwidth is more than adequate, so that can't be the problem. The latency, though, is fairly long (were you pinging the BBC server?) which does suggest a lot of network congestion. I'm not really sure what the issue can be. Radio 3 is probably not the most listened to Internet radio station - but then they might have factored that in to their choice of server. I would have followed the others suggestions. For sure, set the buffer time (in the 'Settings' menu, go to 'TuneIn') and set it for a longer time. The 'start up' will take longer, as the larger buffer loads, but you'll have longer 'protection' against transient dips in network capacity.

Tim
  7. waggs

waggs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Think I’ve found the problem, it’s with BBC and radio3 in particular. Most stations I’ve tried take 2 or 3 secs to connect, then whatever I’ve set the Buffer time to, to then play. Radio 3 takes up to 3 mins to connect! Which is appalling☹ So of course it takes so long before it can refill the buffer, that the playback soon catches up. Time to write a few letters of complaint to them….
    Thanks for your help, all.
  8. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I don't know whether this might help

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/FAQs/STREAM202.pdf

Tim
  9. waggs

waggs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just found the BBC iPlayer app, which seems better:) and you can rewind, jump forward etc, and listen to most progs less than a week old. I'll give this a go, but I think this will make me happier!
  10. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Great idea - yes, should have thought of that!!

Tim
  11. jnewell

jnewell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is that UK only? It's not coming up in the App Store for me.
  12. ipfuser55

ipfuser55 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes BBC is UK only as far as I know!
  13. ipadowner27

ipadowner27 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A 43ms ping isn't bad at all. I used to have a 70 or 80 gaming fine streaming fine.
  14. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The BBC will be releasing a subscription-based international version of the iPlayer app later this year. They have been prevented from distributing the 'free' version outside the UK because the BBC is entirely funded by licence payers in the UK and it seemed unreasonable to make that content available to non licence-payers. The subscription-based version will solve that problem.

Tim
  15. jnewell

jnewell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amazingly, that actually makes sense! :) If they include all the content currently available on the UK version, I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

16. PDB

PDB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I, too, had issues trying to listen to BBC radio channels in Tunein Radio over the weekend, but they auto-magically worked after a while. I think it may be due to demand overload perhaps.

On the subject of the BBC iplayer, does it provide tv and radio shows? Might be interested in subscribing to get some quality content over here in Spain...(though it does seem odd that their radio channels ARE now freely accessible if it's a funding issue. Having said that, maybe best to keep quiet about it!)

Thanks!
    Paul
  17. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, all BBC TV and radio are available on BBC iPlayer. This includes almost all of the regional BBC radio stations output as well as the national channels.

Edit: actually, no, the app is a pared down version of the full iPlayer. Only the national radio channels, and TV, not the regional ones. I hope they change that, there's some good stuff on the regionals sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  18. PDB

PDB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Ian. I'll keep a keen eye on developments.
  19. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Even if you are a resident of the UK and a BBC licence-payer, you will find the iPlayer app doesn't work if you try to use it outside the UK. That would be one of the three useful functions it could perform, the second being a facility to download programmes, but it doesn't allow that either.

That just leaves its third function, which is to fill the gap in those very rare situations where there is no actual television available, such as during a power outage or if stranded in a car, when you would be relying on a slow 3G signal and it might not work anyway. The BBC iPlayer app is therefore pretty much useless, IMO.

However, this thread is about the excellent TuneIn Radio app, so let's get back on topic.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  20. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    If any of you iPad owners who have TuneIn and have not yet upgraded to the most recent version - a warning. In the 'old' version, if you recorded a station that supported album art, that art was displayed in the recording and you could 'jump' to any track in the recording by simply touching the album art. so, if you had 5 or 6 hours of music recorded from your favourite radio station you could instantly find the track in that recording that you were interested in and, by touching the album art, advance instantly to that track.

In the new update that feature has been removed. Now, if you touch the album art, you get a pop up window inviting you to purchase that track on iTunes.

A very definite disincentive to upgrading......

Tim