What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSA Inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Charged With Stealing 8 iPads

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Theft.JPG

NBCDFW reports today on the arrest of a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) inspector who has been accused of stealing eight iPads from checked luggage over an eight-month period at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The baggage inspector, Clayton Keith Dovel, has been charged with theft by a public servant, and has been suspended by the TSA.

"The unacceptable behavior of this individual in no way reflects the dedication of our nearly 50,000 transportation security officers who work tirelessly to keep our skies safe," the TSA said via a statement.

According to the report, the haul of iPads was traced to Dovel’s home thanks to “technology on the iPadsâ€, so presumably one of the owners used Find My iPad to track down their device, although the report doesn’t elaborate on this. One of the owners of the stolen iPads said that he has learned his lesson and will always be taking valuable items in the cabin with him in his carry-on luggage from now on.

Source: TSA Inspector at DFW Airport Accused of Stealing iPads | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's outrageous! Cabin staff were informing media of the movements of actors/actresses and now this. It doesn't make the airlines look good that's for certain.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

TimVFR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumb question??

Who in their right mind would leave their iPad in a checked bag!! NEVER leave anything of value in a checked bag. That's what your carry on is for people!!

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, using my iPad on a plane is one of the reasons WHY I bought one in the first place. Seems like abuse of ownership to put one in a checked bag.:confused:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't put valuables in checked luggage, either. But I'm guessing that these people were buying iPads for other people, which is why they were in checked luggage -- probably in box and all. They might've been traveling to other countries (like Latin America), going through DFW.

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is incredible that people would leave expensive items, especially iPads, in checked baggage. The theft possibility is one thing... physical damage is another. It is also incredible that a TSA employee would be so dishonest - don't they investigate these people before hiring? The fact that it was at DFW is also irritating for me, since I'm originally from that region.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is incredible that people would leave expensive items, especially iPads, in checked baggage. The theft possibility is one thing... physical damage is another. It is also incredible that a TSA employee would be so dishonest - don't they investigate these people before hiring? The fact that it was at DFW is also irritating for me, since I'm originally from that region.

Physical damage isn't a prob if you know how to pack. I have packed bottles of booze for friends abroad in checked luggage (because you can't bring big bottles of liquid in carry-ons any more) without prob. Theft is still a risk, of course.

Don't expect miracles from screening. People -- including Secret Service agents, cops, teachers, etc., -- are investigated before hiring. That doesn't mean you can screen out all miscreants and their behavior.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, the pic of the guy in the OP looks like he needed money for burgers! :D

BUT, I agree about putting expensive electronic devices in 'checked' baggage - not only ill-advised, but even if not stolen, putting the baggage in the hands of the airlines is tantamount to giving the device to a gorilla - :eek:

Most reactions