What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to unjailbreak iPad 3...at a dead end

cgjohnst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to do a factory reset on my iPad 3 without any luck. It is jailbroken with ios 7.0.3. All cydia changes are updated. When I look in the general tab, it shows there is an ios update available, but it sticks at a loading screen when I click on it. I've tried doing the erase all settings and content button, but it just gets stuck with the spinning lines and never does anything. Then itunes won't recognize the device at all. I already uploaded all my photos to my computer and it works fine for that, but itunes won't see it. Itunes is updated. I just saw the app "Cydia Impactor". Would that work?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting a jailbroken iPad back to stock, shouldn't be done via "Erase all Content and Settings" in Settings - General - Reset on the iDevice. The result is what you're experiencing now.

Put your iPad into recovery mode, and restore it. Here are the instructions:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this fails, use this method:
TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Cydia Impactor is a "work in progress". There's no guaranty that it will work or help at all.

Last edited:
OP
C

cgjohnst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look at those articles. It turns out cydia impactor is for ios 8 anyway =/

OP
C

cgjohnst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So both of those articles require itunes. Itunes is not recognizing my ipad in normal or recovery mode.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recovery mode helps when your iPad is not recognized by iTunes. (See my first link)

OP
C

cgjohnst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had it in recovery mode and it's still not recognizing it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions