What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to undo JBM 3.0

paul780

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 12 year old step son recently installed JDM 3.0 on my iPad2 and I am trying to get the iPad2 back to its non-jailbreak status because the iPad is supplied by my employer.
I did have a backup from the day before the JB was done, so I through iTunes I did a "restore from backup" and selected this pre JB backup. iTunes did the restore but after the reboot I still see the Cydia icon on the iPad.
Does this mean the iPad is still jailbroken? I don't know what the next steps I need to take...if any.
Should I just try and "restore" through iTunes to get the iPad back to out-of-the-box settings? I assume since I have my purchased apps in iTunes they would get sync'd back when I set the iPad back up.
And if you haven't already figured it out I am not an iPad savy person...only had it for a month thus far.
Thanks in advance for any assistance and suggestions...

Carnage334

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only been jail broken for a day now but asked all these same questions before I even did it. From what I have been told... Connect to itunes, click restore and it should bring to a "out of the box" state, once its compelted it should ask you if you want to use to backup file to synch. If not you should be able to choose it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is confusing as Apple uses the term restore twice for different things. You will need to restore your firmware to stock 4.3.3 using iTunes and then when that restore is completed it will ask you if you also want to "restore from backup" to which you must say yes.

Connect the iPad to iTunes and press the "restore" button which is under the "update" button on the main iPad summary screen when your device is connected. IF the restore fails with an error message, don't panic! You just need to restore using DFU Mode. We have a sticky in this section which will guide you on how to get into DFU mode. After that, press "restore" and it will complete normally.

Then when the restore is finished it will ask you if you want to set up as new or restore from a backup. Select restore from a backup... Let the process finish. It will reboot and you should keep the device connected during this. It will then automatically put all your apps and media back on. Just let it do its thing.

It would be very useful if you could feed back whether you had to use DFU mode or not. I have had mixed reports about it with the current jailbreak. Some have said they didn't need to.

Hope that helps!

OP
P

paul780

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick response and explanation. I will follow these steps today and will be sure to post back whether I had to go into DFU mode or not.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You should not have to go into DFU with JBM. I had it on mine last week and was easily able to just restore it from within iTunes to my last backup with no issue.

Best advice - be patient. mine took right at 2 hours to get back to pre-JB form, of course it had to resync almost 50GB of apps/music/movies/data.

OP
P

paul780

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Mr f4780y
Followed your steps and the process worked perfectly. I did not encounter any error message during the restore so DFU was not necessary.
Thank you so much for your help. I will be sure and use this site as a resource for learning more about my iPad 2.

Most reactions