What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide iPad2 or not?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey mounterbikermark, I see you've switched to the galaxy. Are you happy with the switch? I am getting really annoyed with how limiting my ipad2 is (even jail broken) and I am considering that same swap. I absolutely LOVE my android phone and find my self using it more and more lately and I am just waiting for a tablet with android os to function well enough to allow me to dump the iPad.

The latest version of the Galaxy does look interesting. I'd have to say, though, that the tablet that intrigues me most at this point is the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet that will be released in August. Almost identical in specs to the Galaxy 10.1, it has a Lenovo combo keyboard/tablet case, as well. And it supports usb without an adapter. If the keyboard lives up to Lenovo standards, it will be a very interesting option.

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I had a nickel for everyone one of these threads graced my iPad I would be a millionaire. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
The latest version of the Galaxy does look interesting. I'd have to say, though, that the tablet that intrigues me most at this point is the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet that will be released in August. Almost identical in specs to the Galaxy 10.1, it has a Lenovo combo keyboard/tablet case, as well. And it supports usb without an adapter. If the keyboard lives up to Lenovo standards, it will be a very interesting option.

I think the new Galaxie Tab 10.1 is awesome, and also agree that the new Lenovo will take the lead in the android tab market. But I decided on an ipad2. Like a great car with no gas the android tablets are severely lacking in quality apps to run on them. I may revisit this in two years. It's going to take that long I'm afraid.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The asus transformer looks quite interesting also, has anybody here tried one??

I love my jailbroken 64 gig 3G ipad2, but there are still shortcomings that annoy me about it. That is probably true of any tablet at this point, but I like keeping an open mind about all my options.

H

hazi1610

jmorton10 said:

I love my jailbroken 64 gig 3G ipad2, but there are still shortcomings that annoy me about it. That is probably true of any tablet at this point, but I like keeping an open mind about all my options.

One thing to remember with iPad is that you get second to none after sales support from Apple. Buy and android tablet and where do you go when it goes wrong? Back to the store who usually send it away for a few weeks to be repaired and you are left without it and often, they don't actually resolve the problem.

I was an android phone user looking for a tablet and right at the last minute chose iPad 2 because I know I have good after sales support and it's a much more stable device than any android device out there. They all have one problem or another, be it a tiny niggle to a hardware problem.

Build quality isn't usually as good with android either because they are trying to cram as much as possible into one small tablet meaning more things to go wrong.

Personally, since having my iPad 2 I have decided to sell my android phone and am loving the iPad so much I want a MacBook pro one day. Lol.

That's coming from somebody who was so against Apple and now see just why they are so good.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use an android phone (I have a highly modified DroidX) and there is no way I would dump that. I find an android phone can do an awful lot of things an iPad can't although they do go well together. If I had to stick with one device only, the android phone would win hands down IMHO.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like the transformer is pretty impressive:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I think I will buy one this week and then give a totally unbiased point by point comparison between that and my ipad2 if anybody is interested? I have no reason to prefer one or the other at this point (I've been a PC user/builder etc for years) but all these new options really intrigue me.

If I like the transformer better, I will sell the ip. If I like the ip better I may take the transformer in to work and just use it there.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ipad 2 and Galaxy 10.1.... I don't think you can go wrong with either...The screen on the galaxy is better imo..also the curved edges where the ipad tends to dig in my hand..Ipad 2 is more fluid and smooth but with the new touchwiz rom the 10.1 is getting real close....You just missed the staples $100 coupon of any tablet which might of helped decide....I think if i could only keep one it would be the 10.1.

2011-07-14230406.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
STi said:
I have ipad 2 and Galaxy 10.1.... I don't think you can go wrong with either...The screen on the galaxy is better imo..also the curved edges where the ipad tends to dig in my hand..Ipad 2 is more fluid and smooth but with the new touchwiz rom the 10.1 is getting real close....You just missed the staples $100 coupon of any tablet which might of helped decide....I think if i could only keep one it would be the 10.1.

$100 off a Galaxy 10.1! That's huge!

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jduncan said:
$100 off a Galaxy 10.1! That's huge!

Yeah but it ran out yesturday:(....I had a white one from best buy but it had 2 dead pixels...Seen the coupon on xda forums and saved $100 and got gray and returned white one...Kinda like white better but oh well.

Reaction score
Hey mounterbikermark, I see you've switched to the galaxy. Are you happy with the switch? I am getting really annoyed with how limiting my ipad2 is (even jail broken) and I am considering that same swap. I absolutely LOVE my android phone and find my self using it more and more lately and I am just waiting for a tablet with android os to function well enough to allow me to dump the iPad.

No regrets at all . All those fairy tales of the constant freezes, crashes and no apps are just that.
I'm gonna pm you a couple of sister sites to this one that may help.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have spent extended time with the Asus Transformer (best buddy has one) and I own several apple products (iPad2, Mac Pro Tower, Macbook Pro, and countless iPods and iPhones) but now own and use an Android phone. I'd like to think I'm pretty unbiased both ways.

Asus Transformer Review:

Cliffnotes: Best Android tablet on the market right now bar none. I hesitate to call it a tablet because with the keyboard dock option(150$ add-on) it's really for all intents and purposes a laptop. With crazy long battery life. And a touch-screen. Yes, the touchscreen still functions when the tablet is docked.

Pros:
- Versatility. Truly blends the line between tablet device and laptop. Could truly be an all-in-one type device for some consumers. With the keyboard dock it is essentially a netbook with a detachable touchscreen
- Expandability. Including the keyboard dock you get: HDMI out, 2 usb ports, 1 microSD slot for additional memory, 1 card reader and two headphone jacks.
- Battery life. Tablet alone is 9.5 hours, with the keyboard dock battery life is extended to 16 hours.
- Specs. The usual Tegra2 dual-core 1.0ghz, IPS 10-point touchscreen, 1gb Ram. 16gb on board storage. Flash support
- Android honeycomb 3.0 (and now 3.2). For some people this may be a minus, but I like Androids OS, and honeycomb is quite nice. Great notification system, live widgets look great, and true multi-tasking
- Cost. 399 Tablet + 150 keyboard dock = $550 total. Very competitive.

Cons:
- Hefty. Longer, heavier, and more unwieldy than my iPad2.
- Fit and finish. Hard to best apple products here. For the most part the Transformer is finished off nicely, albeit with a fair amount of hard plastic.
- Apps. There simply is not a whole lot of them out yet with the Android tablets playing catch up to the iPad.
- Honeycomb still not as polished as iOS. While I really like a lot of Honeycomb, it still isn't iOS and if that is what you are really after, it is not the same. Awfully close on a lot of levels but not the same. If you love your iphone and want to stay in a similar ecosystem you'd be happier with an iPad.

I still have my iPad2 and love it. I also have a macbook pro and love it. For my needs (Professional level photo editing and graphic design), the transformer doesn't really give me anything I don't already have or need. It isn't powerful enough to be my laptop, and as strictly a tablet I feel the iPad2 is superior.

HOWEVER, if you are not a "power-user" and you are in the market for an all-in-one solution that can meet all of a lot of peoples computing needs, the transformer is a bigtime winner

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point I would advise waiting if you're thinking about about an Android tablet, especially the Transformer. The Transformer 2 is about two or three months away. It will have the newer Tegra3 chipset and run Ice Cream Sandwich. Personally, I'm planning to sell my iPad 2 and buy that when it comes out.

Lenovo also just released two new tablets that have some neat features, those might be worth looking into as well.

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point I would advise waiting if you're thinking about about an Android tablet, especially the Transformer. The Transformer 2 is about two or three months away. It will have the newer Tegra3 chipset and run Ice Cream Sandwich. Personally, I'm planning to sell my iPad 2 and buy that when it comes out.

Lenovo also just released two new tablets that have some neat features, those might be worth looking into as well.

True, but I'm not sure the transformer2 will arrive before 2012. I've seen reports for both as of late. But I agree the Tegra3 will be a game changer. 1.5ghz, quad-core and ice cream sandwich sound damn good to me.

If apple deviates from their normal annual schedule and releases an iPad2HD or iPad3 this year we'll know that the Android tablet onslaught has them worried about losing market share.

Most reactions

Latest posts