What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to connect iPad to NETGEAR universal WiFi range extender

carolinahand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
Love my iPad and hope get more out of this remarkable device with your help.
I am trying to connect iPad to NETGEAR universal WiFi range extender but don't have a WPS "button".
Setup instructions say connect wireless device by pushing WPS button.
Is NETGEAR device compatible with iPad?
Their customer support is non-existent unless u pay!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

I can't help you with that, but I'm also interested in the answer. Sit tight someone will be along who can, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
Love my iPad and hope get more out of this remarkable device with your help.
I am trying to connect iPad to NETGEAR universal WiFi range extender but don't have a WPS "button".
Setup instructions say connect wireless device by pushing WPS button.
Is NETGEAR device compatible with iPad?
Their customer support is non-existent unless u pay!
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

RW2112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To connect go to your settings, then network. Check networks available, should see netgear- ext ( I think). Connect to that like any other network, then a wizard should open in browser to connect the extender to the existing network. Once extender is connected to network it will be renamed (network name) -ext. Hope that helps you out.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

sarahkerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I also have the same problem and I already tried what RW2112 has suggested but I can connect to the extender but I cant get online for any websites or catch up tv apps. Can you shed any light? thanks

jagussow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck solving this issue yet? I'm having the EXACT same issue and spent an hour on with Apple today. Here's the info so far...
NETGEAR WN3000 Wi-fi extender is connected and broadasting. My Laptop and Iphone are all linked in and fully connected. Pulling up pages and all.
However, my iPad will not. Looks like im connected, I have full signal and even an IP address but Safari cannot open nor will ANY apps that require internet access.

Apple is convinced its hardware and wants to send me a new iPad. If after my restore later, and nothing works. Then thats the route i must go.
But here are my questions?
How is it that everything else is connected but the iPad? When I go into the main house and use the connection without the extender, then the iPad works fine! So how can it be hardware?
The problem is when i walk back to my house (30 yards away) and connect to the extender, I seem to have a full working signal but nothing will load. Just sits there and says loading until eventually it times out.
This is what ive done....
First we "forgot the network" and rebooted. No dice
We went into Settings and "reset network settings" rebooted. No dice
She even had me finally just "reset ALL settings" and that still didnt work
We restarted the router, and re-made the connection with the extender. (nothing changed)

after all this, we have no more ideas but to do a complete restore. I REALLY dont want to do that, nor do i want to send it back and wait for another. I will definitely do what I need to do but im hoping someone else out there has run into this issue and resolved it without a restore.

even odder still, up until last night, everything has been fine. iPad has been fully connected.
I was on my Windows laptop watching NetFlix at 1am when the internet went out. I restarted my router and extender and the ipad wouldnt connect. Everything else came back online right away, except the iPad.
Fingers crossed that someone has solved this. if i get any more info from Apple ill be sure to post back.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't answer as to why, but I have the wn2500rp and all of my devices work fine on the extended network. I have a 3gen, a mini, a nexus 10 and a nexus 7. And my iPhone 4S. They all work on both bands (the nexus 7 is not dual band).

Good luck.

jagussow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NETGEAR WN3000 Genie Info

Extra info I forgot to mention above, when I go to the NetGear site on my laptop, it shows that my iPad's IP address is connected to the extender on channel 11 at 30% signal strength, 65mbps but yet I cant pull up Safari. It also shows the same info (but diff IP address) for my laptop but that's actually connected like it says. The iPad is not even though the Genie says it is.

Also, RW2112 is right, after the extender is linked, the SSID changes to (name??)_EXT but keep in mind it will assign its own password after it runs the Genie. So even if you told it to keep the same passphrase as the original connection, it still assigns its own.

If you think the problem is with the Wi-fi extender, (and if it doesnt start automatically after getting the _EXT connection, you can go to mywifiext .net and run the Genie from there. Even if your not connected.
Server login info for NETGEAR Genie:
name: admin
password: password.
hope that helps someone
I was able to successfully connect for over two weeks so I know it works. Its just after I lost the connection and had to reconnect the Extender, the iPad wont connect but every other wireless device in my home is.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but some netgear products will switch from dual channel on their own, check what freq(s) it is set on. Also check to see if it is on wide, narrow or auto/both as sometimes these may make it an iffy connection. If you still have the original admin and password then change the password to something unusual so you don't get your wifi hacked.

WPS is wifi protected setup and allows you to setup a network client (like a laptop) using a compatible network interface to connect without having to tell it what the security type is or the pass phrase. You can still connect your iPad you just need to know what is used as the pass phrase and security type.

Sorry that this is so long, just wanted to give you a fighting chance to set it up.

docic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem

My Ipad was connected untill I changed modem and now can connect to modem wifi but not the extender. Help ?

Most reactions

Latest posts